Bruce Wilson has an article at Alternet about some of the crazy things taught in Christian schools in Louisiana and around the country, often with the support of tax dollars due to voucher programs, like the one in place in that state. Here’s a clip from one biology textbook put out by Accelerated Christian Education (ACE):
Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence.
Have you heard of the `Loch Ness Monster’ in Scotland? `Nessie,’ for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur.
Could a fish have developed into a dinosaur? As astonishing as it may seem, many evolutionists theorize that fish evolved into amphibians and amphibians into reptiles. This gradual change from fish to reptiles has no scientific basis. No transitional fossils have been or ever will be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals. Any similarities that exist among them are due to the fact that one Master Craftsmen fashioned them all.”
And here are some things found in textbooks put out by A Beka Books and Bob Jones University Press, which are widely used in Christian schools:
– Only ten percent of Africans can read or write, because Christian mission schools have been shut down by communists.
– “the [Ku Klux] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross… In some communities it achieved a certain respectability as it worked with politicians.”
– “God used the ‘Trail of Tears’ to bring many Indians to Christ.”
– It “cannot be shown scientifically that that man-made pollutants will one day drastically reduce the depth of the atmosphere’s ozone layer.”
– “God has provided certain ‘checks and balances’ in creation to prevent many of the global upsets that have been predicted by environmentalists.”
– the Great Depression was exaggerated by propagandists, including John Steinbeck, to advance a socialist agenda.
– “Unions have always been plagued by socialists and anarchists who use laborers to destroy the free-enterprise system that hardworking Americans have created.”
– Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential win was due to an imaginary economic crisis created by the media.
– “The greatest struggle of all time, the Battle of Armageddon, will occur in the Middle East when Christ returns to set up his kingdom on earth.”
In no possible sense of the word is this education. Here’s a video that Wilson did about the content of those books: