As Bobby Jindal prepares to host The Response, a mirror event to Rick Perry’s The Call prayer rally, Right Wing Watch takes a look at some of the people who will be involved in that rally with him. It’s pretty much a Who’s Who of bizarre Christian right extremism.
The latter half of Rick Perry’s “The Response” prayer rally was emceed by a self-proclaimed prophet who believes Oprah Winfrey is the harbinger of the Antichrist.
It looks like Jindal’s rally will be no different: Doug Stringer, who considers himself to be a modern-day apostle and who also worked on Perry’s rally, is spearheading the Louisiana event. Stringer has blamed American “[l]icentiousness or moral looseness to the degree that it is ‘in your face,’ including homosexuality,” for the September 11, 2001 attacks, which he described as a “wake-up call” from God.
Another self-proclaimed prophet, Cindy Jacobs, is also featured on “The Response: Baton Rouge” website. Jacobs has quite the prophetic record. She:
- suggested that legal victories for marriage equality advocates led to Hurricane Sandy and other natural disasters;
- proclaimed that Rick Perry’s “The Response” prayer rally “broke the curses on the land” of Texas brought on by “the Native American people [who] were cannibals and they ate people”;
- and blamed the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell for freak bird deaths in Arkansas.
The good news is that Cindy Jacobs can feed everyone at the rally from her bottomless bowl of spaghetti.
One event sponsor, Jennifer LeClaire, has used her column in Charisma News to broadcast several “prophetic” warnings about the evils of homosexuality and the “gay agenda” that is “working overtime to send millions to hell.” LeClaire has:
- asserted that gay marriage is “part of Satan’s end-time strategy” to “outlaw traditional marriage”;
Another official “Response” endorser, longtime conservative activist and failed Republican nominee for lieutenant governor of Virginia E.W. Jackson, has pushed similarly radical views, particularly on gay rights, saying that “homosexuality is a horrible sin, it poisons culture, it destroys families, it destroys societies; it brings the judgment of God unlike very few things that we can think of.” He has also:
- and claimed that gay people are possessed by a demonic “spirit of immorality” that “often enters in through some sort of abuse and the lies of the enemy [Satan] that follow.”…
- said of gay people: “Their minds are perverted, they’re frankly very sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally”;
- claimed that gay people “recruit” children into their “destructive” lifestyle and gay rights supporters “have done more to kill black folks whom they claim so much to love than the Ku Klux Klan, lynching and slavery and Jim Crow ever did”;
- warned that homosexuality will bring about a “torrent of wickedness,” including human-animal marriages;
- argued that God will stop blessing the U.S. military due to the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, which he called “a disaster of historic proportions”;
Hey, wasn’t Bobby Jindal the guy who said a couple years ago that the Republicans have to stop being the “stupid party”? Of course, he’s now planning to run for president and you can’t win that nomination without lots and lots of stupid people.