It’s kind of amazing how often the Antichrist shows up. I mean, hardly a day goes by without some delusional “expert” in Biblical prophecy declaring the arrival of the latest Antichrist. Obama? Putin? The leader of ISIS? Nope. It’s the new atheist leader of Greece. Because of course it is. And the Worldnetdaily is all over the story.
Alexios Tsipras has been prime minister of Greece for just over a month and is already a candidate for another office, according to some Christian prophecy buffs – the office of “Antichrist.”
Tsipras has “burst onto the scene,” as one blogger describes it, at a time of great economic uncertainty in a country, Greece, that was the 10th member to join the European Union in 1981. And, of course, everyone knows that the Bible predicts the antichrist will arise from a 10-member confederation of nations, presumed by many to be the European Union, which is seen as the “revived Roman empire” described in Daniel and Revelation.
This Euro rock star has “appeared out of nowhere over the last couple of years, almost magically,” writes one prophecy blogger with sights on Tsipras.
Among the characteristics that have put the 40-year-old leader on the radar of antichrist hunters are:
1) He is a young, charismatic leader suddenly assuming power in Greece and executing actions “in his own name.” He apparently issued his own oath of office to himself.
2) He recently met with Pope Francis at the Vatican to discuss a peace deal for the Middle East.
3) He is an avowed atheist of Jewish descent.
4) He is of Greek nationality.
5) He was born on July 28, 1974, which that year fell on the Tisha B’Av or the 9th of Av on the Jewish calendar, the day on which many Jewish calamities occurred including the destruction of first and second temples and the eviction of Jews from England in the year 1290 and from Spain in 1492.
6) He is rabidly anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist.
How incredibly convincing.