ThinkProgress takes a look back at some of the predictions made by Republicans about the Affordable Care Act. If it passes, they declared, it will bankrupt the country, destroy the insurance industry completely, destroy jobs and send us into a huge recession. The opposite, of course, has happened.
1. Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): ‘It’s going to destroy our economy…It’s going to push us into a total economic collapse’ (October 8, 2013).
As TP points out, this was actually his attempt to walk back an even more inane comment he’d made the day before that Obamacare would “destroy America.”
2. Speaker John Boehner (R-OH): Obamacare ‘will bankrupt our nation, and it will ruin our economy.’ (January 6, 2011).
And yet the deficit has gone way down in the last five years and the economy has gone way up.
3. Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK): ‘There will be no insurance industry left in three years.’ (October 12, 2010)
Reality: Insurance companies are liking Obamacare and more companies are signing up to offer policies in the insurance exchanges. And their profits have gone up.
4. Rush Limbaugh said Obamacare would cost the economy ‘2.5 million jobs minimum’ and would be a ‘literal tragedy’ (February 6, 2014)
The economy has actually added 3.2 million jobs just since Limbaugh made that prediction.
5. Glenn Beck: ‘This is the end of prosperity in America forever, if this passes. This is the end of America as you know it.’ (November 19, 2009)
Has Beck ever seen a policy he didn’t like that wasn’t the “end of America as you know it”? Even once?