Over at Sydney Anglicans is a short but helpful article on 10 Steps to Better Preaching by Michael Kellahan. Well worth the read.
In a nutshell, he argues:
1. Prepare more.
2. Leave out the boring bits.
3. Don’t wait till Sunday to test it out.
4. Ditch notes.
5. Speak to the people who aren’t there yet (i.e., apologetically).
6. Have an argument.
7. Speak to the people who are there (i.e., the specific group you’re talking to).
8. Avoid trite application.
9. Talk about Jesus every week.
10. Listen to your own podcast.