On Friday, I had the pleasure of joining my good friend, Donovan Badrock (AKA @MrOzAtheist) for a live stream on YouTube as part of our podcast, Common Heathens. We began by having a chat about the recent news coming out of the Catholic Church in Pennsylvania and then went on to answer listeners questions. If you missed it, you can catch up here:
I would love to know what your answers to these questions are. Here is a list, if you need to reference:
- How do you handle an overbearing theist family that thinks their POV is the truth?
- As an atheist, do you still recognize Jesus as an historical figure? I mean Santa claus was a historical figure, and hundreds of years after he died they made the christmas myth. Do you think its the same thing with Jesus?
- What do you think it would take to remove the phrase “in god we trust” from American money?
- How angry do you get when someone else steals your “perfect” parking spot at the grocery store?
- Why do you think the religious are so gullible? Laziness, or fear of death?
- What do you do when you’re on the free throw line getting ready to take your foul shot, and you draw spontaneous wood?
- How do you raise your kids in a non-religious household when you live in a very conservative area and a majority of your kids’ friends and classmates have a religious upbringing?
- Why do people who know that prayer does “nothing” still pray? Friends of mine still attend because they enjoy the ritual and “vibe” but appreciate that petitioning a deity does nothing.
- What is/are the best “anti-religion” jokes? Emo Phillips did a fantastic interpretation of religious infighting.
- What have you guys found to be the most effective strategies in talking about reason and science to believers?
- Should marmite and vegemite be considered crimes against humanity?
- What do your religious family memebers or friend say about you raising atheist kids #AskcommonHeathens
- What’s your take on Hugo & Jake?
- Ever thought about stepping up into the mainstream media light as a coalition? Create a pool of people public media can tap for secular arguments? I’ve never been impressed with the AA.
- Where do you spend your hard earned dollars on atheist/secular agendas?
- Do you recommend organizations? I support FFRF and not the AA because a.) I always thought Silverman embodied the angry atheist stereotype and be the FFRF has a well-defined mission.
- What should be the common causes for atheism/secularism today?
- Harris and Hitchens were both reactionaries to 9/11. Should atheists still be rallying against Islam as a religion that harbors and grooms terrorists?
- Can we get a progress report? In the last year and since doing this publicly, what’s gotten better and what’s regressed from your perspective?
- Who would you support today to represent atheism as a press spokesperson? The four horsemen are no more: two are retired, 1 is passed and 1 is selling meditation apps touring with Peterson. The AA President resigned in #metoo scandal. Who?
Let me know your thoughts on these questions in the comments below and enjoy watching our live stream!
Image: Copyright Courtney Heard.