Ahh, Halloween. That blustery, crisp time of year when every housewife lines up at the T-Ho’s drive-thru for a Pumpkin spice muffin and matching latte. The season when every shrub at the end of a driveway suddenly appears to sprout thick, synthetic cobwebs. The pumpkins are popping up all over town, brittle leaves swirl in the wind and costumes are flying off the shelves at every store that sells them.
While this year everyone is going to go as Joker, I thought we atheists could come up with something a little more clever. Myself, I am going as Hunter S. Thompson circa the Fear & Loathing era because mommy’s pressed for time and all I need is a bucket hat, Hawaiian shirt, some aviators and ciggy. But you, you brilliant heathen, might enjoy some of the other ideas I’ve come up with.
Here are 12 costumes only atheists will appreciate:
1. Ray Comfort with a giant banana. Sure, people may be confused as to why your shirt says “Atheist’s nightmare” but when you politely explain it’s because your banana is rounded at the tip for ease of entry, all should be cleared up.
2. Jesus on a dinosaur. This is simple. All you need is a combo of two costumes. Grab the dude on the dinosaur get-up here and the Jesus robes here. Wear them both together and voila! you’re on your way to convincing people that the Flintstones was a documentary.
3. Your own ancestor – To pull this costume off, all you have to do is dress as your favourite ape! Be forewarned, however, that your clever costume is going to invite the inevitable, “If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?”. Maybe have a pocket full of dust on hand to turn the tables, “If God made Adam from dust, why is there dust in my Chimp pocket?”
4. Crocoduck – Half crocodile, half duck, the crocoduck will delight those familiar with Ray Comfort’s favourite species. This is going to have to be a DIY project as I scoured the web for a fitting costume and no one’s done it yet!
5. Ben Affleck – Don’t forget to sport your t-shirt that says, “It’s gross! It’s Racist!” while wearing Benny’s wings from the movie Dogma. Bonus point for carrying around a Buddy Jesus.
6. A priest with handcuffs on. The best part is that no one will ask why the priest has been arrested – they already know! If they need a hint, just tell them you’re a Catholic priest. Here’s your priest costume, and here are your handcuffs.
9. Mormon Missionary. White, short-sleeved dress shirt, dark tie, black pants, a messenger bag and the Book of Mormon. Nothing wrong with dressing up your nose as though it had recently been broken by a slamming door, either. You can grab a quick and easy Mormon Missionary costume here.
10. Pascal’s Bookie. Wear this shirt and take bets regarding the afterlife from everyone you approach.
11. A mohel with a giant pair of scissors. If you want to give all your guy friends a good Halloween scare, let them think they stumbled into a bris. Bonus points for sideburn curls. Here are your scissors.
12. God. The key is, don’t show up for the party or event you’re dressing up for, and when your friends ask why you weren’t there, tell them you were. When they argue, demand they prove you weren’t or tell them they just have to have faith.
What are you going as for Halloween? Let me know in the comments!
Book of the day:
I’m writing a book addressing the many reasons believers distrust atheists. I’m around 40,000 words in! If you want to help me get it done, you can support me by donating here or becoming a patron here.