Hatred shares some heredity with anger, and anger is one of the seven deadly sins. Religious morality recoils from anger, and from hatred.
So what are we to do at this moment when half of America’s religious citizens hate the President of the USA? Actually, ‘hatred’ may be too anemic a term and other words leap for attention:
Aversion! Odium! Disgust! Despised! Abhored! Repugnant! Loathed! Execration! We see these vile expressions indelibly scribbled onto placards and posters and held with pinched fingers by marching men, women and children.
I’d like to perform an Anatomy of Hatred by reviewing eight questions I put to various Religious Haters of the President.
Here are my questions and here are their answers:
- Has the Object of hatred really said or done anything warranting hatred? Answer: The Object of hatred has uttered as many errors as words and has offended in every syllable and gesture.
- Is the Object of hatred hated as a whole or merely for one defective part? Answer: We hate only ‘his guts.’
- Is there some remedy whereby the Object of hatred can appease you haters? Answer: May God absolutely forbid this, but the Object of hatred could step through the portal of death and claim his eternal reward soon rather than later. A slip upon ice would serve. But God forbid.
- Do you intend any violence to the Object of hatred? Answer: No. Only daily reprimands and nightly tongue lashings, but no laying on of hands for bodily injury, and no suborning such a thing.
- Didn’t Jesus warn against ‘hating a brother’? Answer: Jesus did warn against hating a brother, and fortunately the Object of hatred is no sibling to any of us haters, though a few of the Object’s Scottish cousins risk offending Jesus on this point.
- What is the expected term of your hatred, when will it end? Answer: See bullet 3 above. Otherwise, in several years. Otherwise, never.
- Has the Object of hatred poisoned any relationships that are external to the Object of hatred himself? Answer: Yes. Residual disappointments mar friendly and familial affairs all over the land.
- Has the Object of hatred extended his ill effects beyond the U.S. borders? Answer: Yes. The Object of hatred has infected to the North Star.
I have enough information here to offer counsel to these religious haters. These eight questions were scientifically and spiritually designed so that, if these very answers were given, something called a ‘Loophole-Hatred’ would become permissible and even meritorious.
This is precisely the kind of hatred that God excuses and even looks kindly upon. It is a hatred not subject to the confessional. It is not a trigger of conscience.
It is a virtuous disposition that has been unwillingly thrust upon haters by a person who would not keep to the limiting restraints of a TV reality show but sought to lift himself above that peculiar anonymity by the Lark of a Presidential Bid, offering all along only chaotic and sub-ethical musings suitable for an insomniac composer of wee-hour tweets.
In short, this particular hatred is not the haters’ fault. This hatred, which somberly ornaments the USA and drapes half its religious citizens in muted colors, is the Object of hatred’s doing.
It is the Object’s own fault—aided and abetted by his klingon sponsors.
Featured image ‘Great Seal of the President of the United States’ by Tim Evanson via Flickr