Here are 10 very good reasons to stop tithing your 10% every week:
- The command to tithe was given only to the Jewish people. It was intended to provide for the upkeep of the Temple in Jerusalem and to support the Priesthood who owned no land and did not work to support themselves.
- The Temple in Jerusalem is gone now and has been for over 2,000 years, since its destruction by the Romans in AD 70.
- There is no longer any need to support a priesthood made up of people who do not own land or work for a living.
- The Old Covenant is now obsolete according to Hebrews 8:13. Therefore no one needs to keep those laws anymore.
- If you are in Christ then you are now the Temple of God where He has made His home. [See 1 Cor. 6:19-20]
- Those who abide in Christ are automatically ordained into the Priesthood of All Believers. [See 1 Peter 2:4-5 and 2:9-10]
- The daily sacrifice that was once offered in the Jewish Temple is now replaced by the living, daily sacrifice of every member of Christ’s Body. [See Romans 12:1]
- The New Testament scriptures do not command anyone to tithe and the Church didn’t formally institute the tithe until 777 AD under Charlemagne. For over 700 years no one who followed Christ tithed anything to the church.
- The New Covenant standard is not 10%, but 100%. God owns everything, and we are commanded to surrender everything to Christ. [See Luke 9:23 and Mark 12:17 ]
- The early Christians only practiced a freewill offering, not a mandatory ten percent obligation.
Just look at what Tertullian, a second century Christian, tells us about what the early Church did with their offerings:“Even if there is a treasury of a sort, it is not made up of money paid in initiation fees, as if religion were a matter of contract. Every man once a month brings some modest contribution- or whatever he wishes, and only if he does wish, and if he can; for nobody is compelled; it is a voluntary offering…to feed the poor and to bury them, for boys and girls who lack property and parents, and then for slaves grown old…So we, who are united in mind and soul, have no hesitation about sharing property. All is common among us- except our wives. At that point, we dissolve our partnership..”
So, stop holding back from God. Give 100 percent of your time, your money, your talent, and your life to Him.