by Michael Pearl from No Greater Joy – This Is The Last Righteous Generation
Editor’s note: This could go on for days and days as this is a very long piece but I’ve decided this has been torment enough. Cutting to the chase of what Michael thinks is the only solution to protect your children from the ebuls of the interwebs. You can read the skipped parts at the original site if you’re into self flagellation.
The Big Question
The big question you ask is, “How do I make sure my children are not exposed to pornography?”
- They cannot go to public schools or any private school that allows the children to possess cell phones or access the web.
- Do not allow your children to possess any online device or to know any passwords for your devices.
- Do not allow your children to operate any online media, including Netflix, unless you are looking at the screen with them the entire time. Two minutes out of the room and you may lose them to hell’s cocktail. Parents are so naïve.
- Do not allow your children to freely associate with any child whose family does not maintain the same safeguards.
- Explain to them the very things I have revealed in this article. Warn them of Satan’s devices. Explain to them the prevalence and power of pornography.
- Provide an example of holy matrimony and dangle before them the promise of a pure love relationship one day if they keep themselves holy. Make sure they appreciate the precious and the profane for what they are. In the end, the best defense you can instill in your youth is the desire for a virtuous life.
- Never trust your children, and don’t trust your spouse if any activity seems to be suspicious. My wife and my staff have complete access to my computer. The main server is beyond my reach. It maintains complete records of all my activity. I am never locked in a room by myself to “do my work without being disturbed.” I don’t own a cell phone, but if I did my wife and my staff would be on the account and be able to review all my activities. If any adult is less open than I describe, they are porno freaks that need to repent. Don’t doubt it. “Provide things honest in the sight of all men” (Romans 12:17).
I don’t have space to say more, but now and in the near future there will be only one way to save your children from Sodom. You must move far away from its influence and not have any digital doorway to it in your home or on your person. This will mean different things to different people. But for most families it will entail engineering the family from the kids up. That is, you must first decide what environment is best for the kids. Where should you live? What kind of a lifestyle? How will you form positive association with other families? Then your vocation will be built around meeting the needs of your children. You may have to give up a lucrative occupation and band with other families of like mind to create a closed environment in which to raise the kids.
There will come a time—soon—when overcoming believers will live in guarded communities. There will be no other option if you are to save your children from this untoward generation.
It grieves me to be so negative, but I would be a Pollyanna to do differently. The world is going to hell in a hurry while calling it entertainment and freedom, and the church is only a few steps behind, quoting from a book God could not recognize, and normalizing sins that will keep them out of heaven.
Protect Your Children Within
While protecting your children from temptations, you must be active in engineering their environment so they have opportunity to exercise their wills to make wise choices in the face of temptations. They need to have good and evil options in their lives, and they need to feel the negative consequences of making wrong choices. But pornography is like dynamite; children cannot be trusted to learn by experience. If they see you turning off a video because it had borderline inappropriate content, they will learn by example the need to exercise discretion. If they become acquainted with people who testify of how pornography, fornication, drugs, alcohol, etc. ruined their lives, they will develop a sense of sowing and reaping without having to personally offend.Ideally, the principle is this: as they are growing up, you want to expose them to temptation in a scaled and measured manner, so as to allow them to be tempted, but to always overcome. If there are temporary lapses or failings, you want them to be of such a nature as to not cause long-term harm. One temptation overcome is worth one hundred untried holy moments.
Keep in mind that your children will eventually face every temptation. It is our duty to prepare them to overcome. The unique thing about our present age, is that children are facing the worst adult temptations when they have not yet built up any defenses. To be made ready for battle, military members are trained with live rounds, but in a manner that does not allow them to be shot.
QUOTING QUIVERFULL is a regular feature of NLQ – we present the actual words of noted Quiverfull leaders, cultural enforcers and those that seek to keep women submitted to men and ask our readers: What do you think? Agree? Disagree? This is the place to state your opinion. Please, let’s keep it respectful – but at the same time, we encourage readers to examine the ideas of Quiverfull and Spiritual Abuse honestly and thoughtfully.