by Mel cross posted from her blog When Cows and Kids Collide
- The quotes from 1 Peter: “for it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” and “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Quote from 2 Corinthians: “
- I have no clue how any of these verses apply to wearing a belt and keeping shirts tucked in.
- No V-necked tee-shirts, huh. Must be the sign of the devil.
- Another way to save on costs: make the patients do the cooking. This practice is illegal in the way that RU Ministries does it.
From Illinois Legal Aid:
“Working for the Facility
Example: The facility can have rules requiring you to sweep and dust your room, but the facility cannot require you to cut the grass or sweep the hallways.
If you agree to perform work for the facility, you are entitled to be paid a fair amount for your services, in accordance with federal and state wage laws.”
- I strongly doubt the legality of being paid by the facility and then having the facility take that money directly as payment for treatment. Doubly so since RU has no set “total cost” that a patient needs to cover during their stay; RU just takes all of your wages earned during your treatment period.
- So far, all I know to pack as a woman is 3 dresses or 3 skirt/blouse combinations, a black sweater, shoes and hosiery. How do I know what to bring? I suspect there are rules about how much skin can be showing – but if you don’t tell me ahead of time, how can I plan accordingly?
- How does this fit in with one of the “volunteer jobs” available for RU women – working in the shipping department of RU? I stumbled upon this gem while looking up the tax status of RU.
- John 11:39 tells me what I need to know about how RU views their patients. “Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead four days.” Fuckers.
- The main bullets are SOP in most institutions to prevent chaos.
- The random search and seizure of items in rooms is completely legal. I don’t know about searches of persons – that’s not covered in the legal documents I’ve found online.
- We covered above how unpaid chores outside of keeping your room clean is illegal in Illinois.
To my way of thinking, the Bible verse from 1 Corinthians is a scathing indictment of RU:
- 1 Corinthians 4:2 “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.”
To my way of thinking, the Bible verses from Matthew are a scathing indictment of how RU sees their patients:
- Matthew 25:21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’”
- Matthew 25:29 “For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.”
Mel is a science teacher who works with at-risk teens and lives on a dairy farm with her husband. She blogs at When Cows and Kids Collide She is also an very valuable source of scientific information for us here at NLQ. Mel is also blessed with the ability to look at the issues of Quiverfull with a rational mind and break them down to their most basic of elements.
Copyright notice: If you use any content from NLQ, including any of our research or Quoting Quiverfull quotes, please give us credit and a link back to this site. All original content is owned by No Longer Quivering and Patheos.com