by April Cassidy from The Peaceful Wife – The Surprising Root of All Marriage Problems
Editor’s note – In her first bit we were treated to the spectacle of a list outlining sociopathy as mere pride. Now there’s a different type of pride list – false humility. These all sound much more like depression and possible mental illness than the psychopathy of the first list. My point being, mental illnesses, while they do make marriage bumpier, aren’t freaking PRIDE! Evangelical Christianity loves to equate mental unhealth with sin and this just is not true in the slightest. Again, if someone you or yourself feels like either list there is help. Many communities have locally funded mental health resources with a sliding payment scale depending on your income. Please don’t continue to wallow in this type of misery alone and condemned by ‘Good Evangelicals’
Let’s look at false humility in a spouse (which is also pride)
- I’m not worthy of being loved by you (but I expect myself to be worthy and good in and of myself apart from Christ).
- I’m so awful (and I expect myself to be perfect and good in my own strength, I am focused on self not God).
- No one loves me (I will use guilt and pity to try to make people love me more but I will not look to God for my source of love, acceptance, life, peace, purpose, and help. I will try to handle it on my own.
- I’m ugly and useless (I don’t accept my identity, value, and worth in Christ because I know better than God does).
- I should be able to handle everything totally on my own.
- I believe that I have to hate myself, put myself down, and be totally self-sufficient to have value.
- I am obsessed with thinking negatively about myself and do not allow God to fill me. I reject and refuse what Christ wants to do for me and offer to me.
- If you hurt me, I will sink down into depression and self-harm.
Pride and false humility repel those around us. They are toxic and off-putting. It is very difficult to love someone who is filled with self and prickly pride. It is equally difficult to love someone who won’t receive love and who hates themselves and are obsessed with self in a negative way.
QUOTING QUIVERFULL is a regular feature of NLQ – we present the actual words of noted Quiverfull leaders, cultural enforcers and those that seek to keep women submitted to men and ask our readers: What do you think? Agree? Disagree? This is the place to state your opinion. Please, let’s keep it respectful – but at the same time, we encourage readers to examine the ideas of Quiverfull and Spiritual Abuse honestly and thoughtfully.
Stay in touch! Like No Longer Quivering on Facebook:
Copyright notice: If you use any content from NLQ, including any of our research or Quoting Quiverfull quotes, please give us credit and a link back to this site. All original content is owned by No Longer Quivering and Patheos.com
Read our hate mail at Jerks 4 Jesus