Good News: Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin, a dangerous Christian extremist, lost his bid for re-election last night, despite strong support from President Donald Trump.
Bevin lost an extremely close race to Democratic opponent Andy Beshear. Associated Press reports:
With 100% of precincts reporting, Beshear — the state’s attorney general and the son of Kentucky’s last Democratic governor, Steve Beshear — had a lead of 5,333 votes out of more than 1.4 million counted, or a margin of less than 0.4 percentage points.
However, Bevin is refusing to concede the race. Speaking to supporters assembled at the Galt House in Louisville Tuesday night, Bevin said:
Would it be a Bevin race if it wasn’t a squeaker? I mean come on. This is a close, close race. We are not conceding this race by any stretch.
In his victory speech Governor-elect Beshear said:
My expectation is that he (Bevin) will honor the election that was held tonight, that he will help us make this transition. And I’ll tell you what, we will be ready for that first day in office, and I look forward to it.
Bevin is no stranger to controversy, and has proven himself to be a dangerous Christian extremist. For example:
- Instead of vaccination, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin deliberately sent all nine of his kids to a chickenpox party to be infected with the disease because he doesn’t like vaccines.
- Bevin blames zombies on television for the epidemic of mass shootings plaguing the country.
- After 17 people were killed in a mass shooting at a public high school in Parkland, Florida, Bevin claimed that violent video games, and not guns, are to blame for the tragedy.
- Bevin claimed that those who criticize his crime fighting “prayer patrols” are destined for Hell.
- Bevin said he wasn’t worried about denying poor people Medicaid because he believes health insurance makes people unhealthy.
- Bevin’s plan to fight violent crime in the city of Louisville was calling for volunteer prayer patrols that would not report or stop criminal activity, but would instead pray the crime away.
- Bevin signed an informed consent bill into law that degrades and humiliates women seeking an abortion by forcing them to listen to a patronizing lecture about the supposed perils of the procedure.
- Bevin declared open season on gay kids by signing a bill legalizing discrimination against LGBT students.
Bottom line: GOP Governor Matt Bevin, a dangerous Christian extremist, lost his bid for re-election despite strong support from President Donald Trump.