Despicable: British Boxer Billy Joe Saunders, a self-described “God fearing man” and WBO super middleweight champion, has had his boxing licence suspended until further notice after releasing a video on social media advising men on how they should hit women during the coronavirus pandemic.
CBS News reports:
Over the weekend, Saunders posted a video on social media showing how men could best hit their partners during the global lockdown. In a video posted to his since-deleted social media account addressed to “dads, husbands [and people] with girlfriends,” Saunders suggests how to properly deliver a punch to a woman if she is getting on one’s nerves while quarantined during the coronavirus pandemic.
In his deplorable video Saunders advises men on how they should punch their wives and girlfriends if they get on their nerves while being quarantined during the coronavirus pandemic.
In the video Saunders says:
I just wanted to make a little video for all you dads, husbands, if you’ve got girlfriends etcetera.
Obviously this COVID-19 is getting very serious and we are isolated away in tight spaces. If your old woman is giving you a little bit of mouth and you try to be patient, you try to be calm, cool, but after the 7th day or 6th day you’re just about to explode.
Saunders then goes on to give instructions on how men can hit and beat their wives and girlfriends.
Fight fans are angry over Billy Joe Saunders post video on how to hit women… pic.twitter.com/l0LCXW0qZ1
— The Glove Touch (@ThatlongSchlong) March 29, 2020
In response to the despicable video, The British Boxing Board of Control has suspended Saunders’ license indefinitely. A statement from the Boxing Board reads.
The British Boxing Board of Control having considered comments made by Billy Joe Saunders on social media have suspended his boxer’s license pending a hearing under the Board’s misconduct regulation, at a time and venue to be confirmed as soon as possible.
In a predictable attempt at damage control, Saunders has offered an apology, while defending the appalling video as a bad “joke.” In his statement Saunders says he is “a God fearing man” and does not “condone domestic violence under any circumstances.”
My Sincere Apologies. pic.twitter.com/5AtmiF2tJh
— billyjoesaunders (@bjsaunders_) March 30, 2020
I would like to address the situation at hand. Let me first start by apologising, there is no excuse for my actions. It was a very, very, very bad, out of taste joke. I am a God fearing man and I do not condone domestic violence under any circumstances.
When I created the video in poor taste, I never considered how people might interpret it and instead was trying to make light out of the very stressful situation we have all found ourselves in and the heightened emotions of families being confined to one another’s company.
It did not cross my mind about the actual reality of domestic violence and its suffers and the second I realised it could cause any upset I quickly took the video down but unfortunately the way social media works, it spread like wildfire.
I can’t change that, I have and do wholeheartedly apologise. I can only take actions to help people and will be making a donation from my next fight purse to a British domestic violence charity to help victims and prevent future victims of domestic abuse. I will also host some self-defence workshops and seminars for survivors and current or potential sufferers of domestic violence.
Unfortunately I can’t take the video back, but I can do my bit to help people who suffer or have suffered and become part of the public topic to prevent domestic violence and change future generations’ attitudes and that’s what I am committed to doing.
On his Twitter profile page Saunders displays the following Bible quote:
Do not despise My discipline, for in time, I will heal your wounds.
The Guardian reports Saunders had been scheduled to fight the Mexican Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez in May, but the contest was postponed due to the pandemic.
Bottom line: British Boxer Billy Joe Saunders, a self-described “God fearing man” and WBO super middleweight champion, has had his boxing licence suspended until further notice after releasing a video on social media advising men on how they should hit women during the coronavirus pandemic.