Hi! Today, I thought it’d be fun to take a day to look back at the blog’s history. Please enjoy this curated selection of posts from the blog’s past–and if you celebrate the 4th of July, then please have a great, happy, and safe one!
- Prohibition: Being Doomed to Repeat It. From the beginning, the new amendment represented a serious abuse of power by Christians. Today, it still functions as a potent warning.
- Billy Graham and the Culture-War Model of Evangelicalism. He had a big hand in forging the fundagelicals we know and loathe today.
- How the National Day of Prayer Grew Out of the Red Scare. Once again, moralizing busybodies grab for power.
- The Good Old Days: Refuted By A Single Book. When I hear Christians waxing eloquent about their imaginary good ole days, my mind flies to this story.
- The Love/Life Principles Seminar of 1986. In the 1980s, some new and scary doctrines added complexity to my dating life.
- Rapture Night: Party Over, Oops, Out of Time. Teen Cas’ very first rapture scare!
- Back when the SBC Issued a Million-Baptism Challenge. It sure wasn’t the first–only the most recent. All the same, it backfired even worse than the others had.
- Jesus Camp’s Moment in Time, Scattered. 2006 marked the high water point of dominance for evangelicals. From there, the ride only went downhill.
“A Thief in the Night.”
A year or so ago, we had a ball tearing all of these iconic Christian rapture-scare movies to shreds.
- Pre-review party! We jotted down notes here as we watched the first movie.
- The review of the first movie! Somehow, I missed seeing these when I was Christian.
- The Sequels Chat Post! As before, we jotted down our notes as we watched together.
- The Sequel Extravaganza! Well, most of them. I pooped out after the third one.
- Prodigal Planet Pre-Show Party. This was the fourth one. YES! FOUR!
- Prodigal Planet Grand Finale Review-a-Thon! Bet you won’t guess what this one was about.
- Rapture, Tribulation, and the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO). Why movies like these scare so many Christians.
- Traumatizing Children for Fun and Prophet [sic]. I have a huge issue with Christians’ habit of terrorizing little kids with gruesome stories.
- Where They (And We) Are Now. C’mon, admit it. You want to know where Jerry Sideburns ended up.
High and Low Christianity.
Some of my early attempts to figure out why some Christians are so much worse than others. I think I was on the right track.
- High and Low Christianity.
- Perspective Is (Almost) Everything. Sing it with me! “Yes, from a certain point of view…”
- “Low Christianity” and Halloween. Taming the wildness in the human heart (ain’t gonna happen).
- Magical Thinking and Prayer. How different Christians handle prayer.
- That One Weird Thing That Happened Once. A beautiful idea first developed by Ubi Dubium.
- The Hand on the Mirror and TOWTTHO. How we can approach the weird stuff that happens to us.
Have a wonderful 4th, whether you’re celebrating it or not! And we’ll see you back soon. We’ve got so much going on next week that I’m wondering if Bumble can lend me some of his energy.
Please Support What I Do!
If you like what you see, I gratefully welcome your support. Please consider becoming one of my monthly patrons via Patreon with Roll to Disbelieve for as little as $1/month! My PayPal is firstname.lastname@example.org (that’s an underscore in there) for one-time tips. You can also support this blog through my Amazon Affiliate link–and, of course, by liking and sharing my posts on social media! Thank you for anything you wish to do. <3
Consider this post an Off-Topic Wonderland 🙂 How are y’all spending the day?