menu

'Porn-star' Catholic priest, now in custody, allegedly liked 'em as young as 12

'Porn-star' Catholic priest, now in custody, allegedly liked 'em as young as 12 April 20, 2010

A CATHOLIC priest in Brazil who became an unlikely porn-star at the age of 82 after he was secretly filmed having it off with a former altar boy, aged 19, is now being held in custody while officials investigate allegations that he had abused boys as young as 12.
The allegations against Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa – and two other Brazilian priests – have made headlines throughout the world’s most populous Catholic nation and come amid accusations of sexual abuse by priests across the world.

The scandal, according to this report, erupted when Brazilian television network SBT last month broadcast a tape of Barbosa in bed with a 19-year-old that was widely distributed on the internet.
The station said the video was secretly filmed in January 2009 and sent anonymously to the network. It was not clear if the 19-year-old, identified as a former altar boy who had worked with Barbosa for four years, had previous sexual relations with the priest.
SBT reporters went to Barbosa’s house and confronted him. Asked if he ever abused boys, Barbosa said he could only answer such a question “in confession” and cut off the interview.
Brazil’s legislature launched a sex abuse investigation, which produced allegations Barbosa molested boys. The elderly priest was detained late Sunday.
Judge Romulo Vasconcelos told Globo TV on Monday that he requested Barbosa’s immediate detention out of fear the priest would flee the country.
The case now goes to prosecutors, who will decide whether to file child abuse charges.
Sen Magno Malta, the Brazilian lawmaker leading the legislature’s probe, called Barbosa’s detention a milestone in the fight against child abuse in Brazil.

Barbosa’s lawyer, Edson Maia, plans to seek his release from detention, citing the man’s advanced age and arguing that he has a fixed address and does not pose a flight risk.
Congressional investigators said more than 20 witnesses were called and some testified Barbosa and two other priests in the same north-eastern archdiocese had abused boys as young as 12, plying them with money, clothes and other gifts.
Bishop Valerio Breda of the Penedo archdiocese in the north-eastern state of Alagoas said recently that all three priests had been suspended and that the church was conducting its own investigation.
Barbosa told investigators that “he is not a paedophile,” but after three former altar boys testified he had abused them, he asked for forgiveness, said Renato Paoliello, a spokesman for Malta.
Latin Americans priests have faced a cascade of accusations of abuse of minors recently.
Just this month, church officials in Uruguay confirmed they had not revealed the whereabouts to police of a defrocked priest who fled home to his family in Uruguay after a nun accused him of raping three children in Bolivia. And a priest in Chile was charged with eight cases of sexually abusing minors, including a girl he had fathered.

A Mexican woman charged in March that the deceased, scandal-tainted founder of a conservative Catholic religious order abused one of the two sons she said he fathered with her. The Legionaries of Christ, the order founded by the Rev Marcial Maciel, acknowledged earlier in a separate case that Maciel had molested seminarians.
In a report last week, The Associated Press detailed how its reporters around the globe had found 30 cases of priests accused of abuse who were transferred or moved abroad by the church and some escaped police investigations. Many had access to children in other countries, and some abused again. The probe spanned 21 nations across six continents.
Closer to home, a former Roman Catholic priest convicted of child pornography offences has appeared before magistrates accused of breaching a court order.
Barnaby Dowling, former priest of St Osmund’s Church, Salisbury, was given a sexual offences prevention order by magistrates in 2006.
He had admitted downloading 116 indecent images of children.
He appeared last week before Bristol magistrates accused of visiting four churches in the Salisbury area.
The case against him was adjourned until 24 May for a plea hearing.
He is alleged to have visited the churches between April 2009 and January this year.
Hat tip: Name Withheld and BarrieJohn


Browse Our Archives