South African pastor Patseka Mboro Motsoeneng is to appear in court in January for allegedly assaulting a paramedic outside his Incredible Happenings Ministry church in Katlehong on Sunday.
Seldom out of the headlines for his outrageous statements and stunts, Pastor Mboro as he is better known, is accused of assaulting one of several paramedics who arrived at the church to attend to a three-year-old child who had been taken ill.
Mboro, meanwhile, has laid charges of culpable homicide against the paramedics‚ who he claimed took too long to arrive and “killed an innocent child”.
But Ekurhuleni Emergency Services officials say they did everything in their power to save the child.
Paramedics rushed to Katlehong where Mboro insisted that they take the child to a hospital, but authorities say the little girl was already dead at that time.
Nontombi Gwam‚ the child’s mother, said she had turned to the church after nurses at the Daveyton clinic turned her away last Saturday‚ claiming they didn’t have drips for the child who had diarrhoea.
The mother said in a statement that she did not go to hospital because she did not get a referral letter from the clinic’s nurses. Hospitals often demand letters to prevent people bypassing the clinics for treatment.
I went there so that Prophet Mboro can help me to pray for my baby and also to call an ambulance to take my baby to the hospital. I also went there because I have the fullest confidence and trust in Prophet Mboro.
Her daughter’s condition worsened while Mboro prayed.
Mboro and his followers allegedly got into a fight with paramedics because the ambulance took too long to arrive and that the medical team allegedly refused to enter the church to fetch the child.
It’s reported here that Mboro denied that there was any assault on the female paramedic, who had suffered a cut on her cheek. He said:
She was lucky that we are the church. If it was somewhere [else] she would have been killed. We are civil people …
Mboro added that there was video evidence, but he declined to hand over a copy to the media.
Alberton police spokesperson Captain Lesetja Mathobela confirmed that a case of culpable homicide and assault had been opened.
Hat tip: Ate Berga