Here is a guest essay from Michael J. Alter, who wrote the masterful The Resurrection: A Critical Inquiry. Massive thanks to him. This is the short version; I will produce the longer version for you forthwith. Unfortunately, the evangelical audience that this essay finds in the thread below will react in a typically predictable fashion. But there you go:
This essay is an attempt to specifically reach out to YOU, the members of the religious community. Scripture provides ample reasons that President Trump does NOT have the moral requisites to be reelected President. To paraphrase Deuteronomy 29:4, “ Lord has given you a heart to understand, eyes to see, and ears to hear.”
First, let us directly confront the issue of President Trump’s actions in regard to the Jewish people. Genesis 12:3, in reference to the Jewish people is clear; it reads: “And I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you.” President Trump perhaps thinks, as do many supporters, that because he supports “the state of Israel,” he will be blessed and he deserves their vote. However, it is noteworthy that the verse says “you” – referring to the collective Jewish people; not just the state of Israel. Yes, the President has definitely provided economic, military, and political support for the state of Israel. But so too, has every previous administration, Democratic and Republican. Contrary to blessing the Jewish people, President Trump has employed in his speeches and tweets anti-Semitic dog whistles, anti-Semitic tropes, and anti-Semitic innuendos.
OUR nation needs a healer, not a divider.
OUR nation needs a national peacemaker; not a national arsonist;
OUR nation needs a President who will reach out to his opponents, NOT an antagonizer. Our Scripture instructs:
- Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”
- Mark 3:25 “If a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”
In contrast, President Trump reaches out only to his base and attempts to weaponize conspiracy theories, members of the government, the media, the National Guard, the post office, voting by mail, wearing masks, and even science.
Do YOU TRULY believe that President Trump has exemplified, even closely, the commands or teachings found in OUR Scriptures?
Exod 23:1 You must not carry false rumors.
Exod 23:2 You shall neither side with the mighty to do wrong.
Lev 19:11 You shall not deal deceitfully or falsely with another.
Lev 19:11 You shall not defraud your neighbor.
Lev 19:16 Do not deal basely with your fellows.
Lev 19:18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk.
Lev 19:33 When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not wrong him
Proverbs 6: 16–19 lists seven actions, which are categorized as ABOMINATIONS!:
- haughty eyes,
- a lying tongue,
- hands that shed innocent blood,
- a heart that devises wicked schemes,
- feet that are swift in running to mischief,
- a false witness who utters lies, and
- one who spreads strife among brothers.
I will leave it to YOU to TRULY judge: how many of these seven actions relate to President Trump, and not just once, but also multiple times.
Our Scripture is abundantly and explicitly clear:
Deut 16:20 “Justice, Justice, you shall pursue…”
There are additional reasons Scripture says that YOU should NOT vote for President Trump. These words are NOT unique. Many of these words, in fact, have been collected from others:
- President TRUMP lacks compassion: The Bible says: “Therefore as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, and longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another.” (Colossians 3:12)
- President Trump appeals to fear and anger: Yet, Scripture instructs:
1 John 4:18 “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.” (cf. Matt 5:22)
- President Trump is enamored with the feeling of “greatness” and ego, yet he often displays no concern for “goodness” or service; contrary to Scripture (see Rom 12:19; Phil 2:3; 1 Peter 5:5).
- President Trump is consumed and brags about his materialism, money and wealth; contrary to Scripture (see Matt 6:24; 1 Tim 6:10; James 4:6, 16).
- President Trump is a compulsive and pathological liar and promoter of falsehood; contrary to Scripture (see Ps 102:2; Col 3:9; Eph 4:29; 1 Peter 3:10).
- President Trump does not attempt to love his enemies or even forgiven them; rather he cultivates and continually harps on antagonism or revenge; contrary to Scripture (Matt 5:43–45).
C.S. Lewis once said he would rather play cards with an atheist who never cheated over a Christian who didn’t care. In the same way, disaffected evangelicals should prefer someone with a moral center over the hollow core of a B-grade celebrity.
Soon YOU will have the opportunity and free will to choose between falsehood and truth.
Michael J. Alter
Stay in touch! Like A Tippling Philosopher on Facebook: