An Interview of Nick Harris
Nick Harris is a highly regarded punter for the Detroit Lions. He set the NCAA record for career punting yardage while at the University of California, Berkeley, and has played in the NFL for nine seasons. He is also a devout Christian. After growing in his faith through Athletes in Actionat the University of California, Berkeley, Harris was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals and guided by Jon Kitna in what it means to be a Christian man.
Timothy Dalrymple interviewed Nick Harris for the Evangelical Portal at Patheos. In the videos below, Harris reflects on God's hand in bringing him to the NFL, on sharing his faith with teammates, on the meaning of a "winning season" (in the midst of Detroits' 0-16 year in 2008), and on the differing motivations of NFL players.
1. Did God bring you to the NFL?
2. Have you ever shared your faith in the NFL
3. How has your athletic life shaped your faith?
4. How did you respond, as a Christian, to the Lions' tough 2008 season?
5. How could non-believers in the NFL be unfulfilled? Aren't they ‘living the dream'?
Nick Harris holds a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in education from the University of California, Berkeley. He lives with his wife and children in the Detroit area.For similar articles on faith and sports, see the Evangelical Portal or the series on Gymnastics, Faith, and Olympic Glory.
12/31/2009 5:00:00 AM