Concern Grows about the Timing of Petraeus Affair Revelation
A growing number of pundits and commentators are questioning whether the recent revelations of Petraeus’ exra-marital affair were politically motivated and potentially connected with Petraeus’ scheduled testimony on the President’s handling of the attacks in Benghazi.
- Petraeus personally investigated the Benghazi attacks as described here and was reportedly eager to testify.
- The White House insists it didn’t know about the investigation into the head of the CIA until the day after the election.
- And the plot gets weirder as Broadwell’s wallet is found in a DC park. Fun quote from Hot Air: “At this point there’s no way that the growing cast of characters doesn’t contain someone who’ll end up speaking Russian in the final scene.”
A Few Thoughts….
Although at first I resisted claims of conspiracy, much of the given time lines don’t seem to make much sense. And the White House seems to be in the dark on a lot of what’s going on in the Administration. However, we would be wise to continue to heed God’s caution to be quick to hear and slow to speak while still insisting on the truth about Libya. Certainly the tawdry affair and allegations of further impropriety have successfully distracted the media from the tragic events in Benghazi that left four Americans dead.
A wise man hears and increases in learning.
US Economy continues to Skid as Fiscal cliff Approaches
The stock market continued its post-election slide as uncertainty grows about of the coming economic fiscal cliff.
- The Wall Street Journal says US stocks hit a three-year low.
- CNBC says wealthy are dumping assets before taxes go up.
- Bearish market analyst Marc Faber tells CNBC that there “will be no fiscal cliff” but “there will be some pain.”
- Obama tells progressive groups he will not budge in negotiations with Republicans via the Huffington post.
A Few Thoughts…
Psalm 46 says that God is a our refuge and our strength – a very present help in time of trouble. Therefore, we will not fear. It would seem that fear is a choice. We can choose how we will respond to claims of economic collapse or uncertainty. Such times force us to reconsider where we have put out trust.
Some trust in the stock market, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
NC Court Rules that Opossum Drop Inhumane
A North Carolina administrative law judge has ruled that residents of Brasstown cannot lower a caged opossum twenty feet to a stage because it would violate the opossum’s rights.
- Details on the case that spared the opossum from the inhumane “drop” here.
- Key quote from the judge: “Hunters must afford wild animals the same right Patrick Henry yearned for, Give me liberty, or give me death!’”
A Few Thoughts…
I would laugh if it wasn’t so real and based on such an unbiblical worldview. To place Patrick Henry’s famous appeal to the Divine gift of liberty on par with that of an animal is utter nonsense in a Biblical view. God created people in his image and gave them authority over the animals — which are not made in His image. We have a responsibility to care for all of His Creation, but lowering an animal in a cage as part of a celebration hardly seems abusive.
If animals are people too, maybe we can tax them to resolve our financial ills.
Sesame Street’s Elmo Off the Hook with Baseless Sexual Accusations
Reports surfaced recently that the person who performs the voice for Sesame Street’s beloved Elmo had been accused of having a sexual relationship with a minor seven years ago. The accuser has now recanted the charges.
- First the report of the allegations that led to an investigation.
- Now the confession of the false claims via the Huffington Post.
A Few Thoughts…
Good news for all who despise false accusations. Such claims, especially those of a sexual nature, often hinge not on the truth of the claims, but the “seriousness of the charges.” Reputations can be permanently destroyed by false accusers as people tend to assume the worst about others. There’s a reason an entire commandment is devoted to God’s hatred for this very thing. A complete quote from Deuteronomy 19 summarizes God’s solution to the problem:
“A single witness shall not suffice against a person for any crime or for any wrong in connection with any offense that he has committed. Only on the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses shall a charge be established. If a malicious witness arises to accuse a person of wrongdoing, then both parties to the dispute shall appear before the LORD, before the priests and the judges who are in office in those days. The judges shall inquire diligently, and if the witness is a false witness and has accused his brother falsely, then you shall do to him as he had meant to do to his brother. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. And the rest shall hear and fear, and shall never again commit any such evil among you. Your eye shall not pity. It shall be life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.”
Shaming as Punishment: Cleveland Woman Holds Sign Calling Herself an Idiot
A Cleveland judge ordered a reckless driver who persistently drove on the sidewalk around a school bus to wear a sign for two hours calling herself an idiot for doing so.
- Read the whole story here.
A Few Thoughts…
This punishment seems the moder-day equivalent of putting someone in the stocks in the public marketplace to endure the scorn and derision of fellow citizens. The Biblical ideal is not to shame someone into compliance, but to help a sincere change of heart to take place. However, when someone refuses instruction, as this woman seems to have done, Biblical wisdom says that is what stocks are for.