Video: On Sept. 22 in Hollywood, California, Born Free USA hosted the second fffashion L.A., a one-of-a-kind fashion show celebrating designers who understand ethical and environmental benefits of forgoing fur fashion.
Born Free USA is inviting independent fashion designers to submit their fur-free fashions for a chance to win prizes, significantly boost their fashion career, be featured in a national magazine, and help promote the ethical and environmental benefits of fur free fashion (also referred to as “fffashion”.)
Designers should create a fur-free woman’s or man’s coat, shirt, pants, dress, skirt or suit according to the guidelines on the FFFashion website. There is a $25 entry fee.
Deadline for entries is April 15, 2012. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place, selected from the top ten finalists. There will also be a “Green Award” and a “Student Award.”
Prizes, according to the website, include:
- 1st Prize: $750 cash, your design professionally modeled, photographed, and featured in an ad in E/The Environmental Magazine, and a feature profile of you and your design on the fffashion website and in related media exposure.
- 2nd Prize: $500 cash, recognition in E/The Environmental Magazine, and a special profile of you and your design on the fffashion website.
- 3rd Prize: $250 cash, recognition in E/The Environmental Magazine, and a special profile of you and your design on the fffashion website.
- Finalists: The top 10 participants and their designs will be recognized on fffashion website.
- Special Awards:
The Green Award: for the designer with the best environmentally conscientious design.
- The Student Award: recognizing the highest ranking entry from a fashion design student.
- international design and couture legend Elizabeth Emanuel, perhaps best-known for creating Princess Diana’s wedding gown
- actress, best-selling author and beauty expert Victoria Principal
- Melissa Rivers, host of fashion events on TV Guide Channel and Fashion Police on E!
- Marina Draghici, Broadway, film and television Tony Award-winning costume designer and Hollywood stylist
- Julia Barr, two-time Emmy Award winning actress most famous for her role as Brooke on “All My Children”
- Brita Belli, editor of E/The Environmental Magazine
- eco-model, activist and green living expert Summer Rayne Oakes
- fashion stylist and journalist Devon Poer
You can read the complete rules on the Fur Free Fashion website.
Born Free USA brings to the United States the message of “compassionate conservation”, which was the vision of the United Kingdom-based Born Free Foundation, established in 1984 by Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna, stars of the iconic film “Born Free.” Their son, Will Travers, is now chief executive officer of both organizations. Born Free’s mission is to end suffering of wild animals in captivity, conserve threatened and endangered species, and encourage compassionate conservation globally. You can learn more about Born Free USA on the organization website.