For many Pagans Oct 31st is one of the holiest days of the year but it’s also a secular holiday devoted to candy and spooky fun. I need to make the 13 songs for Samhain list fit the holiday, but I love all the corny old Halloween songs! So here I go! Getting it out of my system all at once! Crank up the sound and boogie away!
Oh, and normally there’s no order to this, but my favorite actually is number 1 this time….
13. This Is Halloween from The Nightmare Before Christmas
I LOVE this movie with all my heart and soul. I’m both a musical and a claymation junkie and this fills my wee little heart with joy!
12. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Cheesyness never sounded so good! I love model in body paint and lingerie stalking through the jungle, because models totally do that…
11. The Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & The Cryptkickers
When I was a kid I really thought Boris Karloff sang this. I think they win the contest for best band name ever!
10. Flying Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley
This is a complete nonsense song that always gets played around Halloween. Do you remember the crappy made-for-tv movie? I do…. *sigh*
9. Marie Laveau by Bobby Bare
I thought this was Johnny Cash when I was a kid. Someone will probably find this song offensive. I find it fun.
8. You Can Do Magic by America
There isn’t that great a Halloween song, but the Endora tribute video is amazing. Sure, stereotypes are bad, but when I was a kid I wanted to be Endora when I grew up. She was so sassy, confident and wore the coolest clothes!
7. I Put A Spell On You by Bette Midler
If the Pagan community can agree on anything, it’s that Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker made the most fabulous stereotype Witches ever. The movie Hocus Pocus is pure camp. We can watch it and quote all the lines. All hail Bette!
8. Witchcraft by Frank Sinatra
Such a sexy song by the original “babymaker”. How many of us were conceived thanks to Ol’ Blue Eyes?
7. Hell by The Squirrel Nut Zippers
This is simply a fabulous song by a great band!
6. Witch Doctor by Alvin and the Chipminks
It will get stuck in your head! Go ahead and dance!
5. Dong Dong the Witch is Dead! from The Wizard of Oz
Oh Elphaba! How we love thee!
4. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon
Was there ever a song more in need of a beautifully surreal video?
3. Dead Man’s Party – Oingo Boingo
I had never heard this song before. What was it about the 80’s and great corny Halloween music?
2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
I sometimes wonder if I’m the only person who likes the Vincent Price monologue best?
1. Skeleton Dance by Disney’s Silly Symphonies
After 80 years the skeletons are still kicking it old school! Gotta love it!