I have chosen a solitary Solstice this year. So much bombards us every day. Ads. Music. Shoppers. Noise. News. Chaos. Stress. Even I, who completely bowed out of the obligatory family Christmas and avoid stores, is still feeling the intrusion of this commercial juggernaut of the holiday season.
So this solstice playlist is themed for the quiet, restful, joyous and solitary celebration of the season. It’s about letting go of the darkness. Of flying into the future.
So I recommend finding a place where you won’t be disturbed, kick your shoes off, get comfortable and crank up the sound as you play through these. You deserve a break. When was the last time you laid back and just let music wash over you?
13. Robert Downey, Jr. – River
12. Indigo Girls – Fly Away
11. Shawn Mullins – Light You Up
It is my fervent belief that not only is he an amazing songwriter and performer but Shawn Mullins is one of the sexiest men alive. He’s one act you should do your best to see live if you can.
10. Meg Hutchinson – I’d Like To Know
This has become my default fire festival song. While the song may be about seeking a lover, the language fits spiritual desire. But then aren’t all the best expressions of spiritual yearning framed in the language of desire, passion and longing?
9. Rob Thomas – Fire on the Mountain
8. Jakob Dylan & Elvis Costello – On Up The Mountain
7. The Beatles – I’ll Follow the Sun
6. Paula Cole – Tiger
5. Jennifer Daniels – Welcome To Your Life
I was very fortunate to see Jennifer in concert. Her songs warm the heart, inspire and she’s gives a powerhouse live performance.
4. Cat Stevens – Morning Has Broken
3. Bill Miller – The Sun Is Gonna Rise
The Ghostdance album is one of my treasured possessions.
2. Jose Feliciano – Light My Fire
1. Buffy Sainte-Marie – Starwalker
May you and yours have a Blessed Solstice and a bright new solar year! If I could wish one wish for each of you, it would be that in the coming year you fully Occupy Your Life!