1) We learn that Dr. Marvin Candle is in face really an astrophysicist from Ann Arbor, Michigan whose name is Pierre Cheng or Chang.
2) A baby is there and crying. I doubt that detail is there for no purpose. Perhaps it is Cheng’s own child, and we will meet the child as an adult. Perhaps we’ve already met that person.
3) The transmission is being sent through a “pinhole” in time, allowing the transmission to be sent from the past to the future.4) Daniel Faraday, presumably unstuck in time, has been able to contact Cheng and help him make the video.
5) It is said to be imperative that the Dharma Initiative be reconstituted and continue its research. And there is that great line, “Time is not merely of the essence. It is the essence”.
6) Finally, is it just me or does he at one point call it the “God-forsaken island”? That reminds me of how Ben said that God cannot see the island any more than anyone else can. Hmm…