Postdoctoral Fellow in New Testament Exegesis
at the Department of Theology for a period of two years, beginning per agreement.
The Faculty of Theology is the oldest of ten faculties at Uppsala University and encompasses all areas of religious studies at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels (M.A. and PhD): History of Religions, Biblical Studies, Church and Mission Studies, Systematic Theology, Ethics, Psychology of Religion, and Sociology of Religion. The Faculty of Theology is one of Sweden’s largest institutions for education and research in theology and religious studies.
The position as Postdoctoral Fellow in New Testament Exegesis involves primarily pursuing a research project of choice (e.g. a new monograph project beyond the published dissertation).
Duties: The primary responsibility of the Postdoctoral Fellow is to pursue his or her research project. A certain amount of teaching in New Testament Exegesis is also included – at most 20% of the working time. The Postdoctoral Fellow will actively participate in the ongoing academic conversation at the department. For example, he or she is expected to participate in the New Testament research seminar and in meetings for colleagues in biblical studies.
Qualifications required: A completed doctorate in New Testament Exegesis or another equivalent doctorate degree. Good reading knowledge in the relevant research languages for New Testament Exegesis, for example, Hebrew, Greek, English and German. Also good communication skills and ability to collaborate is required and personal qualities are of importance.
Qualifications desired: Good ability to communicate and write in Swedish.
Requirements: The applicant for the position as Postdoctoral Fellow must have completed a doctorate in New Testament Exegesis or an equivalent doctorate degree less than three years before the application deadline. If there is sufficient rationale, the doctorate can have been completed earlier. Such rationale can include sick leave, parental leave, or the possession of a commission of trust in a labor union.
The application may be written in Swedish or English and will include
- Copy of the official transcript for the doctorate in New Testament Exegesis.
- Copy of the dissertation and of any additional academic publications (maximum three).
- A description of the following:
- why you are interested in the position (ca. 500 words),
- how you plan to take part actively in the ongoing academic conversation at the department (ca. 500 words)
- your research project (including the problem addressed and methodology) and its value and significance for New Testament studies, as well as for religious studies in general (4000–5000 words).
- Name, email, and telephone number of three academic references.
- Indication of your earliest availability to begin the position.Criteria for ranking: In the selection among the qualified candidates, particular importance will be attached to (1) academic qualifications, (2) readiness and capacity to take part actively in the ongoing academic conversation at the department, and (3) an assessment of the academic potential of the proposed project. .
The University desires to recruit a colleague who, in an overall assessment of ability, competency and documented qualifications, has the greatest ability to develop and complete the proposed research project.
The University strives for gender equality, and women are especially invited to apply for this position. Personal circumstances (e.g. parental leave), which could help the assessment of an applicant’s qualifications, may be given with the enumeration of the applicant’s merits and experiences.
Salary is calculated relative to competency.
Further information about this position is provided by Professor James A. Kelhoffer, tel. +46 18 471 21 86, E-mall: email@example.com. Union representatives are Anders Grundström, Saco-council, ph. +4618-471 53 80, Carin Söderhäll, TCO/ST, ph. +4618-471 19 96 alt. 018-471 1997 and Stefan Djurström, Seko, ph. +4618-471 33 15.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than August 22, 2011, UFV-PA 2011/1692. Please use the link below to access the application form.