I am grateful for the magick of moments. Ordinary and necessary.
I was sitting at my desk the other day, trying and failing to avoid the news, and I looked out the window. The winds were blowing, fresh green leaves swaying and bouncing against each other.
And in that moment, I noticed my lungs move in time with the breeze. Like the world was breathing with me. Like the world was trying to find its center too.
I’ve been triggered. Triggered by the abortion bans. Triggered by the outrageousness of people in power who don’t seem to care about human rights, bodily autonomy, and, you know, being kind to each other.
Sometimes I’ve felt so little, so ineffective.
But when I breathed with the trees, I started to come back.
Resourcing with the Godds
I started to talk about resourcing some time ago, the idea of finding ways to fill your cup, right your rockiness, and steady your resolve.
Still the world so you can see what’s really happening. What steps you really need to take. Where you can show up.
I was lucky to have a chance to work with a therapist that introduced me to this concept. And who grounded the practice in relating to the godds I love. (Well, some of them.)
It’s a simple practice that is similar to anchoring as you see in NLP (or in a Reclaiming class…), but it focuses more on steadying trauma responses. And it’s safe and easy.**
Here’s my version of it.
- Ground, align, do the thing you do to bring your mind to the present moment.
- Call into your mind and into your body the feeling that you want to feel. Perhaps you want strength or confidence or resilience. Whatever this feeling is, bring that into your mind and hold it there until it fills up all of your cells.
- Once you feel this feeling strongly, tap your thighs with your hands, left then right, left then right, over and over. Keep tapping.
- Hold the feeling in your body while you tap. If the sensation you’re trying to tap into your body starts to fade, stop tapping and bring that sensation back.
- If you feel the sensation strongly, keep tapping and think about the godd that matches up with that feeling for you. Or you can use Wonder Woman. Or some other character or being in your life.
- Bring this being into your consciousness as you tap away. Feel them present and open to the connection of this feeling. Notice how they are when they look in your eyes or when you feel their presence strongly.
- Enjoy this connection until the feelings and images start to fade. Stop tapping and allow yourself to come back to the room when you feel ready.
What you are doing is installing/bringing/setting these feelings and this ally into your body. This is something you can return to at any time, by tapping or by being in the presence of your godd or being. You might create an altar to them or wear something that reminds you of them. This way, you can access that feeling at any time.
The Magick of Allies
Often in this practice, you will seek to find an ally who is a Protector, a Nurturer, and a Wise One. So, in doing that, you might call into your mind the godds who align with these feelings. And then you tap to bring those feelings and connections into your body.
You can do this as often as you like. In sacred space, even. Or not.
In doing so, you assemble your resourcing team, the team who will bring you back to where you want to be, help you feel held when you need to be held, and allow you to come back to enough when it feels like too much.
You got this. You’re not alone.
**And even so, I’m still not a doctor or psychologist, so this is not medical advice. For more details, I like the book “Tapping In: A Step-by-Step Guide to Activating Your Healing Resources Through Bilateral Stimulation” by Laurel Parnell PhD.