Here’s the scoop:
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Archdiocese of San Francisco seeks a well-qualified Director of Communications. The Director develops and executes a pro-active media strategy for the Archdiocese. This strategy is nuanced to embrace three spheres of influence: the Archdiocese, covering the three counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin; a national audience; and an international audience focused on the Vatican. Located in the Archdiocese are over 400,000 Catholics, with over 300 priests and 700 religious. Among the Catholic institutions in the Archdiocese are 75 elementary and high schools, 3 colleges/universities, one seminary, and five Catholic cemeteries.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Manage the full range of public relations duties, including the positioning of Archbishop in the print, audio, visual and social media.
- Provide strategy and response for crisis communications on all key issues
- Handle all aspects of media relations, including representing the Archdiocese and its institutions to the media and preparing other Archdiocese representatives for media appearances
- Supervise the editor of Catholic San Francisco, which is the Archdiocesan news weekly
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Thorough knowledge of church organization and knowledge of the operations, procedures, teachings of the Catholic Church and the theological beliefs
- Proven experience in articulating effectively religious policies in all media
- Ability to interact well with a variety of directors in the Chancery, manage teams well, and coordinate messaging throughout a large organization
- Must be fully supportive of the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
- Must be a practicing Catholic, in good standing with the Catholic Church and be committed to the full range of Catholic Social Teaching
- Computer proficiency in WORD, Internet, E-Mail and familiarity with social media
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in humanities, communications, journalism, public policy or public relations
- Minimum of five years or more in media relations plus two years of managing a media unit in a frequently, fast paced environment
- Specific experience in church organizational and operations procedures or a complex, multi-unit organization (preferably nonprofit) with service orientation.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Attn: Patrick Schmidt, Acting Director of Human Resources
Archdiocese of San Francisco
One Peter Yorke Way
San Francisco, CA 94109-6602
Fax: (415) 614-5536 / E-mail: email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer; qualified candidates with criminal histories are considered.