I came across an old blog post, The Sum of All My Fears”. I realized, upon reading the list of 10 fears, that all of them were related to me being a pastor within the church. Take a look:
- angering my superiors;
- upsetting people in my church who can do damage;
- being excommunicated;
- losing these friends;
- my family being hurt because of me;
- our church closing down;
- being unemployed;
- being attacked and ridiculed by those within and outside of the church;
- offending more people here than I help;
- being wrong (truly a heretic) and leading people astray.
I left the ministry at that particular church, and left the church, in the spring of 2010. I’ve visited a few since then. But once I left the ministry, all of these fears disappeared. I’m not saying the answer for me was to leave the church. What I am saying though is that once I left the church, I realized that these fears were somehow nurtured by the church and its support of the professional ministry. In other words, these are the fears that accompany ministry.
Now I realize that they were as nothing. I wish I knew that then.
Get a print of Sophia “Fearless”.