Christine Hoff Kraemer and Yvonne Aburrow are pleased to announce the release of Pagan Consent Culture: Building Communities of Empathy and Autonomy, a new collection from Asphodel Press.
How might a Druid understand consent? How about a Wiccan, a Thelemite, a Heathen, or a Polytheist? In this collection, Pagans of many traditions show how to ground good consent practices in Pagan stories, liturgies, and values.
Although many Pagans see the body and sexuality as sacred, Pagan communities still struggle with the reality of assault and abuse. To build consent culture, good consent practices must be embraced by communities, not just by individuals—and consent is about much more than sexuality. Consent culture begins with the idea of autonomy, with recognizing our right to control our bodies and selves in all areas of life; and it is sustained by empathy, the ability to understand and share the emotional states of others.
In Part One of Pagan Consent Culture, writers develop specifically Pagan philosophies of consent, tackling complex issues such as power differentials, sexual initiation, rape culture in traditional myths, and relationships with the gods. Part Two presents personal narratives of abuse and healing, as well as policies to help prevent sexual abuse and assault and to effectively respond to it when it occurs. Finally, Part Three provides resources for teaching and practicing consent culture, including curricula and exercises for children and adults.
Pagan Consent Culture is available from Asphodel Press (via Lulu.com) in paperback and electronic formats.
Check out the Pagan Consent Culture website for further resources, as well as a free study guide!
Table of Contents
Part I: Developing Pagan Philosophies of Consent
- Culture of Consent, Culture of Sovereignty: A Recipe from a Druid’s Perspective, by John Beckett
- Thelema and Consent, by Brandy Williams
- Consent within Heathenry, by Sophia Sheree Martinez
- Matriarchy and Consent Culture in a Feminist Pagan Community, by Yeshe Rabbit
- Wicca and Consent, by Yvonne Aburrow
- The Anderson Faery Tradition and Sexual Initiation: An Interview with Traci, by Helix
- Consent. Contact. An Animist Approach to Consent, by Theo Wildcroft
- Seeking a Morality of Difference: A Polytheological Approach to Consent, by Julian Betkowski
- The Charge of the Goddess: Teachings about Desire and Its End, and Their Limitations, by Grove Harris
- Walking the Underworld Paths: BDSM, Power Exchange, and Consent in a Sacred Context, by Raven Kaldera
- Saving Iphigenia: Escaping Ancient Rape Culture through Creating Modern Myths, by Thenea Pantera
- Is “Tam Lin” a Rape Story? Yes, Maybe, and No, by A. Acland
- Godspousery and Consent, by Sebastian Lokason
- The Third Degree: Exploitation and Initiation, by Jason Thomas Pitzl
- From Fear into Power: Transforming Survivorship Sarah Twichell Rosehill
- In the Midst of Avalon: Casualties of the Sexual Revolution, by Katessa S. Harkey
- Responding to Abuse in the Pagan Community, by Cat Chapin-Bishop
- Sexual Assault and Abuse Prevention: Safeguarding Policies for Pagan Communities, by Kim and Tracey Dent-Brown, with the Triple Horse Coven
- The Rite and Right of Refusal: Sexual Assault Prevention and Response in Communities and at Festivals, by Diana Rajchel
- Sex-Positive, Not Sex-Pressuring: Consent, Boundaries, and Ethics in Pagan Communities, by Shauna Aura Knight
- Living in Community with Trauma Survivors, by Lydia M. N. Crabtree
- Consent in Intergenerational Community, by Lasara Firefox Allen
Part III: Building Communities of Autonomy and Empathy
- Mindful Touch as a Religious Practice, by Christine Hoff Kraemer
- Consent Culture: Radical Love and Radical Accessibility, by Stasa Morgan-Appel
- Wild Naked Pagans and How to Host Them, by Tom Swiss
- Respect, Relationship and Responsibility: UU Resources for Pagan Consent Education, by Zebrine Gray
- Self-Possession as a Pillar of Parenting, by Nadirah Adeye
- Paganism, Children, and Consent Culture: An Interview with Sierra Black, by Sarah Whedon
- Teaching Consent Culture: Tips and Games for Kids, Teens, and Adults, by Christine Hoff Kraemer
- Asperger’s Syndrome and Consent Culture: An Interview with Vinnie West, Joshua Tenpenny, and Maya Kurentz, by Raven Kaldera
- Consent in Gardnerian Wiccan Practice, by Jo Anderson, with the Triple Horse Coven
- Teaching Sex Magick, by Sable Aradia
- Healing the Hungry Heart, by B. B. Blank
- Additional Resources
- Sample Handout: Tradition-Specific Consent Culture Class
- The Earth Religion Anti-Abuse Resolution (1988)
- A Pagan Community Statement on Religious Sexual Abuse (2009)