I appreciated a handout that I received entitles “Nine April Activities for Catholic Families,” from this website. Here are the ideas:
1) Plan a trip to a farm: In the Spring, new life abounds on the farm. Arrange a trip to see some baby animals and talk about new life. *I know that where I live, it’s starting to become strawberry-picking season. We have never done this before, but I would love to take the kids!
2) St. George and the Dragon: Read this book (by Margaret Hodges) on April 23rd, St. George’s feast day. Talk about the fight between good and evil.
3) Enjoy a special ice cream treat for Divine Mercy Sunday: This fun sundae activity has always been one of my favorites: http:catholic icing.com/celebrate-divine-mercy-sunday
4) Pick your favorite verses from the Gospel of Mark to share for his feast day (April 25)5) Bring back the Allelluia: April 2013 all falls during the season of Easter. Put up a decorative Alleluia as a reminder all month. (Could be as simple as it written on a piece of paper or as elaborate as a large, elaborate poster board).
6) Be a Good Steward of the planet God created for us: Explore ways to help the environment through your actions at home.
7) Prayers for Those Receiving First Communion: Your family may have a friend or relative receiving Jesus for the first time in the Eucharist this month. Spend extra time praying for them.
8) Plant a tree for Arbor Day (April 22)
9) Plant a backyard garden: This is a perfect time to plan a summer garden or start cooler weather crops. Even a small garden can help children feel close to God through his Creation.