Emergence Christianity 2013: A Q&A with Tony Jones

This weekend, popular Emergent Christian leaders Tony Jones and Doug Pagitt are hosting a National Conversation on Emergence Christianity in Memphis, TN — in large part to celebrate their good friend Phyllis Tickle’s new book, Emergence Christianity: What It Is, Where It Is Going, and Why It Matters. Read my post here about the event, and what you [Read More…]

The Gospel of Grantham

If you want to know what a nerd I am, I’m going to tell you. About 80% of the status updates in my newsfeed on Sunday were from friends engaged in a “Downt-down.” (I crack myself up). That is, a countdown to the season 3 premier of ‘Downton Abbey.’ The other 20% were something to the [Read More…]

Emergence Christianity: Honoring and Bending Tradition

Most Sunday afternoons between our College Coffee Hour (at Starbucks) and heading off to the Ashland Youth Collective, I’m able to be home and hang out with Caleb. This past Sunday, we were playing with some Legos when I noticed that Doug Pagitt posted that the Solomon’s Porch service was being live-streamed. I thought I’d [Read More…]

Emergence Christianity: A Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On

I’m headed to Memphis this week for the National Conversation About Emergence Christianity with Phyllis Tickle and Friends (EC13), and about 450 other progressive Christians from around the country. The city of Elvis’ Graceland seems an appropriate place for an event celebrating the ground-breaking inroads that have been – and continue to be – happening in the [Read More…]

The Resolutions of Jesus

Traditionally this is a time to learn from our mistakes and commit ourselves to do differently in the new year. I wonder what resolutions Jesus would have made? For some, it may seem shocking to suggest that Jesus had room for self-improvement. But it’s hard to miss his sins if you read the New Testament [Read More…]

What Would Jesus Say to the NRA?

What does the birth of the baby Jesus 2000 years ago have to offer the violent, troubled world we live in? Or what would Jesus say to the NRA? I want to suggest — A lot. A whole lot. Jesus entered the world from a posture of absolute vulnerability — as an unarmed, innocent child [Read More…]

Birthing: An Advent Reflection

[Editor’s Note: This is the last in a series of Advent reflections from new mother and theology professor Monica A. Coleman. Read the others here.] Birth is messy and unpredictable. It’s hard to remember that when we read Paul’s discussion of becoming a new creation. “Behold, all things are made new!”  It sounds like he [Read More…]

The Consciousness of Christmas

This past Saturday night, my wife Roberta and I stood with a group of people on Hollywood Boulevard, holding flickering candles. Passers-by might have assumed we were Christmas caroling. But we were holding a vigil for the children and adults massacred in Newtown, Connecticut last week. Roberta organized the event earlier in the day, via [Read More…]

Win a Copy of Holy Nomad!

This month at the Patheos Book Club, we’re giving away 25 copies of Matt Litton’s new book, Holy Nomad: The Rugged Road to Joy.  In a recent interview with Litton, a writer, educator and speaker, he talked about why he wrote this book: I think a life without joy and meaning is more of a “life [Read More…]

Traveling Advent to Epiphany: Week 4

Traveling Advent to Epiphany: Roadside Assistance from Luke and Matthew A Meditation on the Gospel for Advent 4: Luke 1:39-55 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit [Read More…]

Voices of Advent: Jack Caputo on Expectation

Popular theoblogger and pastor Tripp Fuller of the Homebrewed Christianity Podcast caught up with a few of our favorite progressive Christian thought-leaders at the American Academy of Religion convention last month, and invited them to reflect on the season of Advent. We’ll be posting one video response each week as the church waits and anticipates the coming of God. This [Read More…]

Changing Actions, Changing Hearts

(My wife Roberta and I hope that THIS IS MY SONG will be sung at Obama’s 2nd inauguration in January. It’s “a song of peace for their land and for mine” – just the message America needs to hear, and that the world needs to hear from America. “Like” our Facebook page if you agree!) [Read More…]