Two members of the Westboro Baptist Church – aka, the people who like to show up at military funerals with “God Hates Fags” signs – appeared on Russell Brand’s new talk show. Brand (who was wearing a necklace with a bunch of small crosses on it) was exceedingly fair, giving the guys a chance to talk about their views and their faith even though the audience clearly wanted nothing to do with them. I go back and forth on whether I think Brand is funny and I’m really glad that he and Katy Perry split up so I don’t have to see them in the tabloids anymore, but he does a bang-up job with this interview. He manages to be fair and polite while also asking some pretty tough questions.
1. “I’m English, so “fag pimp” just means “cigarette?”
2. “One at a time! You will all get a chance to speak … in hell.”
3. “It’s like a really tricky quiz of hate!”
4. “Imagine Gandhi in a pointy bra in hell.”
5. “The Holy Spirit ain’t got a pen.”