Here we go!
There are plenty of memes that want to know all about your book history and your all-time greats and your grand ambitions, but let’s focus on something more revealing: the books you’re actually reading now, or just read, or are about to read. Let’s call it The Immediate Book Meme.
1. What book are you reading now?
Rabble in Arms by Kenneth Roberts
2. What book did you just finish?
The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, wonderfully narrated by Derek Jacobi
3. What do you plan to read next?Whatever my Book Bingo pulls up. It’s the joy and terror of complete randomness.
4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?
Art: A New History by Paul Johnson
5. What book do you keep meaning to start?
The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien
6. What is your current reading trend?
Big, huge books.
It began when Scott Danielson said, “Hey, let’s talk about The Lord of the Rings” on our podcast. It continued when I picked up Rabble In Arms. And then I was given the audiobook of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, narrated by Simon Prebble (who I just can’t say no to, that guy is an amazing reader) … and which I began a few days ago. And have I mentioned that Paul Johnson’s art book has a gazillion pages (and not nearly as many pictures as you’d think for an art book).