Again and again some people in the crowd wake up.
They have no ground in the crowd and they emerge according to broader laws.
They carry strange customs with them, and demand room for bold gestures.
The future speaks ruthlessly through them.
~Rainer Maria Rilke
Perhaps you will be inspired to up the ante of your dream work/play when you realize you and your dreams are in good company. In fact, the greatest thinkers, scientists, artists, visionaries, and leaders throughout history were ordinary people like you and me, who happened to have a deep respect for dreams. Because of this respect, these mere mortals became legendary as they shaped the world through their contributions to art, science, technology, politics, and spirituality. Many of these people attributed their greatest successes to their ability to carry their dream wisdom and visions across the divide into the three-dimensionality of the waking world. For example:
- Our founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, attributed the philosophy contained within the Declaration of Independence to their dreams
- Albert Einstein ascribed the theory of relativity to a dream he had as a young boy
- Thomas Edison credited his discovery of electricity to his dreams
- Colonel Harold Dickson made history’s biggest oil discovery (which later became the Kuwait Oil Company) based on guidance illumined in his dream
- Elias Howe sourced his invention of the sewing machine to his dreams
- Dr. Frederick Banting discovered insulin in his dream—and won a Nobel Prize
- Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein was inspired by her dream/nightmare
- A dream led Otto Loewi to a Nobel Prize for his contribution to medicine
- Mendeleyev beheld the complete periodic table in his dream
- The planet Uranus was discovered by William Herschel in a dream
- Stravinsky, Wagner, and Beethoven heard musical compositions, from fragments to entire canons, in their dreams
- Bob Dylan composed music from his dreams
- Paul McCartney praised his dreams for his multi-platinum song, Yesterday
- Jeff Taylor dreamed of his patent for Monster.com
- The movie, Avatar, was dreamed in vivid detail by director, James Cameron
- The Twilight series was dreamed by stay-at-home-mom, Stephenie Meyer…and the list goes on…
<<<Click here to watch a short video about this.>>>
Perhaps the dream you have tonight will be your breakthrough to heal your body, solve your problems, lead you to your very own gold mine, or contribute your unique gift to the world. And if your dream “awakens” you, in any way shape or form, to the realization of the heroic, beautiful, genius being you truly are, then know you are not only contributing to peace on the planet, but to helping me to sleep (and dream) tonight with a smile on my face.
Who is the most inspirational dreamer (to you) on this list?
Join the conversation! Post your dream on Dreams Cloud, then tweet it using #DreamChallenge.
Click here for a preview of your fr*ee dreamy gift du jour!