As should be obvious, I have a number of very grave concerns about the Obama Administration. Allow me to enumerate them:
1. Its absolute and total love affair with abortion, up to and including support for murdering children who have already been born. In this, it expresses the sole non-negotiable core value of the Dem leadership.
2. Its obvious and deep hostility to the Catholic Church, expressed in the HHS Mandate, which aims to tell Catholics “Stay out of our bedrooms” while simultaneously frogmarching us in and forcing us to pay for what is done there. I’m happy to stay out of everybody’ bedroom. But don’t then stick a .45 in my ribs and make me buy your contraceptives for you. Buy your own contraceptives.
3. Its utterly arrogant claim to be able to secretly and unilaterally decree the murder of anybody on planet earth it decides is an enemy of the state, including American citizens.
4. Its utterly arrogant claim to be able to secretly and unilaterally decree the indefinite detainment of anybody on planet earth it decides is an enemy of the state, including American citizens.
5. It is utterly arrogant for the IRS, on Obama’s watch, to be intimidating political enemies with demands that they not protest at abortion clinics and with inquiries into the content of their prayers.
6. It is utterly arrogant for the Obama administration DOJ to be leaking information to smear whistleblowers.
7. It is utterly arrogant for the Obama Administration to spy on and intimidate the press.
There are other things, but these things alone are sufficient, I believe, for anybody who cares about American liberty and about the Catholic faith to be adamantly opposed to this Administration.
Why do I mention this? Because Peg Noonan is wondering where the outrage is about the very serious abuses of power committed on Obama’s watch that are now coming to light. It’s not like the MSM is not covering it all over the place. Its just that the Man in the Street is not reacting all that much.
May I gently suggest that part of the problem lies in relentless exposure to things like this 24/7/365 for five years?:
Because everybody needs to have hysterics when a Marine holds an umbrella for the Prez during a speech!
Because we must all reaffirm Unit Cohesion with a Two Minute Hate About his Motor Skills and Declare His Wife a Shrew!
Because we have to have hysterics for months about the fantasy of Obama’s Kenyan birth!
Because we to have hysterics about ObamaHitler!
Because we have to have hysterics about Obama coming to confiscate a gazillion guns!
Because we must loudly denounce him as unmasculine and weak to reaffirm Unit Cohesion in our United Hatred of Obama!
Here’s the thing, Peg: the Right Wing Noise Machine’s relentless habit of dialing up every. single. gripe about Obama to 11 results in Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome for the average non-political man on the street who has long ago tuned out the hysterics and therefore has trouble telling when a really serious problem has appeared.
And the irony? The RWNM could have learned this simple psychological fact from the Left Wing Noise Machine. Remember the screaming about BushHITLER? Remember how effective that was in defeating Bush in 2004? Remember how the anti-war Left exhausted itself finding fault with every little thing Bush said and did till you tuned them out?
This sort of thing is, by the way, more than merely politically stupid. It is spiritually corrosive and profoundly dangerous to the soul. Here’s C.S. Lewis:
“Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one’s first feeling, ‘Thank God, even they aren’t quite so bad as that,’ or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything — God and our friends and ourselves included — as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.”
I limit my animosity to the Obama Administration as much as possible for two reasons. By far the most important is given by Lewis. The second is given by Aesop in the Boy Who Cried Wolf.