On Epiphany, January 12, 2014, I had an epiphany that I could leave behind work that was causing stress and free myself for the new. Once I made this decision, my feelings of anguish that had been plaguing me soon dissipated and the song that ran in my head was Born Free. All the “coulds”, “shoulds” and “should nots” were transformed into yes I can and yes I will. Animals that had been missing now showed up such as a snake by my hammock when I was reading and an owl in my backyard tree. The January full moon reading and the Chinese New Year confirmed that I was on the right path and my new work to tell people about the New Story was beginning. This is the Chinese year of the horse and I am ready to run free.
For forty years I have worked for women’s empowerment with the dream that our leadership will bring about real change. The leadership programs were excellent and the women all felt empowered but something was missing in unleashing our potential to become the change we wanted to see happen. Religious, political and cultural messages that state we are not good enough continued to be internal blocks. We hear these messages daily especially on television and in women’s magazines that promote products, services, resources, programs, that claim by having them we will be improved. But they are never-enough messages for buying more and waiting for others.
When I met with Laurie McCammon in the fall of 2012 in Maine, she talked about an Enough phrase as an alternative to the never enough messages. Her words about Enough resonated deep within me and I knew this was the answer to what has held us back from claiming our power here and now. The more we talked about Enough the more we knew this was the key to unlock the consciousness for us to become our Enough selves and ignite the global women’s movement. Together we wrote the Enough book, Enough: The Rise of the Feminine and the Birth of the New Story. In the Foreword by Jean Shinoda Bolen, she states; There is a growing shift in consciousness which recognizes that peace and sustainability depends upon women and this new consciousness is arising through women and men who are contributing to a potential paradigm shift: a “New Story” supported by the principles of Enough.We believe you will step into your full potential when you read Enough and gather in circle to discuss and co-create the New Story.
- I Am Enough. I have the skills, talents, wisdom, ideas and heart the world needs.
- I Have Enough. I have more than I think I have, enough to share, enough to shine.
- We Are Enough. I don’t need to do it alone any more. Together we are capable and strong.
- We Have Enough. By pooling our talents, power, passions and resources, we ensure our security and expoentialize our capacity to bring about real change.
- We will offer Enough experiences, where women and girls in their community can come together to pool their talents, power, passions and resources in making a difference.
- We will create a network of support so that we all believe and act like We Are Enough.
- We will listen to the Universe and watch for signs as we discern together what’s next for us.
In my 71st year as a spiritual being on a human path I believe:
- I believe we are Enough to protect and preserve Earth so that there is Enough for all creation to live in abundance and sustainability.
- I believe we are unlimited in our abilities to dream and make our dreams come true. We are Enough.
- I believe everyone who is awake has a dream or like me, many dreams. We just need to believe we are Enough.
- I believe you the reader are Enough and by reading Enough will say yes to being a co-creator of the New Story and together we will run free.
Ann Smith is Co-Founder and Director of Circle Connections