Thursday night, I attended a local Northeast San Antonio MAGA event, Mother’s Against Greg Abbott, not a Make American Great Again event. To my delight, we all shared some common Democratic beliefs with one primary common belief. As mothers, we all want Governor Greg Abbott out-of-office after three consecutive terms. American citizens outside of Texas may not know of the sharp right turn Gov. Abbott and other Texan Republican lawmakers have taken. Our community group could all see that our leaders have jumped on the Trump train and are appeasing the far right who does not represent the majority of Texans. We then discussed the two primary videos in this blog which only reinforced the observations we make in our community and throughout the state.
Yes, these Texas moms in this video are speaking the truth. Please watch the first video, and then read my comments underneath it.
The Texas moms in this video addressed these issues that Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas politicians have failed to do or have done to Texans.
I added a few extensions of my own knowledge.
Texas politicians (I say mostly Republican)…….
1. Fail to fully keep our Texas ERCOT Powergrid alive and well-maintained resulting in dangers and even many deaths
2. Remove some key racial history curriculum from Texas classrooms and ban a variety of books, including books by Black and LBGTQ authors
3. Make it legal to buy a gun without a permit and openly carry it
4. Place a $10,000 bounty on anyone who helps a woman get an abortion, essentially criminalizing abortion
5. Legislate against good and loving parents of transgender children and their transgender children while fighting against mainstream science and their children’s doctors
6. Fought against mask and vaccine mandates during the worst pandemic in over 100 years resulting in nearly 90,000 deaths, almost 10% of the total US COVID death toll
After discussion of the key issues from the first video, we then laughed at the overreach Greg Abbott is now taking in women’s healthcare although it is no laughing matter.
I believe that the current legislative actions of some Republican Texas politicians are now starting to fall in alignment with fascism. According to Encyclopedia Brittanica
and The Washington Monthly, I summarized these primary traits of fascism.
1. sources and capitalizes on economic woes and anxieties
2. shifts political blame on to scapegoat groups like minority groups, the Democrats,
immigrants, and other groups while taking away blame from where it belongs, on the leadership
3. propagates extreme nationalism going hand-in-hand with racism and militarism
4. a melding of church and state when there should be a separation
5. subjugation of women and sexism
6. a disdain for human rights except those of the elite
7. obsession with crime and punishment
8. identification of enemies as a unifying cause for political action
9. disdain for intellectualism, science, history, and the arts
10. control of different types of media, including books
11. rampant cronyism and government corruption
12. attempt to control elections, like through voter suppression
As a mother of young adults with neurodiversity and as a practitioner who serves disabled and LBGTQIA people/youth and their families, I cringe at the thought
of Gov. Greg Abbot’s re-election and the re-election of other hard-right Republicans like Ken Paxton. I actually know families in the disabled and LBGTQ communities
who’ve had to leave or even flee the State of Texas for their own children’s safety and the well-being of their families. What kind of democracy is this, and how is this pro-life?
History will potentially repeat itself if we don’t take action to restore our Texas democracy and help all families thrive again. Ya’ll Means all!!