OK, this tough Texas lady (me) was a life-long moderate Texas Republican until Trump came along and opened the door for fascism, genocide, hatred, racusm, and overt bigotry in Texas. There is absolutely no way to declare that the Texas Republican party is what it was prior to Trump although I think Trump brought out the “nasty of the nasty” in Texas Republican leadership. I also think he gave permission for a lot of dangerous things to surface full throttle that had most likely always been there under the surface. Due to this, I stand in solidarity with the movement “Boot Texas Republicans.” There once was a semi-two-party working system in Texas before Trump, but it’s not there now although we still need two parties. It’s impossible to negotiate and talk sense with fascism and genocide.
When Mothers Against Greg Abbott was in full campaign to boot Greg Abbott for his shenanigans, I stood in solidarity with the group.
The Texas moms in this video addressed these issues that Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas politicians have failed to do or have done to Texans.
I added a few extensions of my own researched knowledge. I think our political climate has only worsened since this video was released over a year ago.
Texas politicians (I say mostly Republican)…….
1. Fail to fully keep our Texas ERCOT Powergrid alive and well-maintained resulting in dangers and even many deaths
2. Remove some key racial history curriculum from Texas classrooms and ban a variety of books, including books by Black and LBGTQ authors
3. Make it legal to buy a gun without a permit and openly carry it
4. Place a $10,000 bounty on anyone who helps a woman get an abortion, essentially criminalizing abortion
5. Legislate against good and loving parents of transgender children and their transgender children while fighting against mainstream science and their children’s doctors
6. Fought against mask and vaccine mandates during the worst pandemic in over 100 years resulting in over 92,000 deaths, almost 10% of the total US COVID death toll
Within large parts of the conservative Texas Church, it is no different. I have spoken with countless LGBTQIA+ people, their families, disabled/neurodivergent people, people with mental health issues, and countless other Christians who claim that that many Texas churches are LESS welcoming, less inclusive, and less safe than they were 25-30 years ago. An estimated millions of Christians have left the American Church since Trump. This can only mean one thing, that the church and state have become “One unholy and toxic flesh.”
What happened to the friendliness of the Texan? What happened to the welcoming spirit of our state? What happened to healthy state pride, a healthy working two-party system, taking care of our neighbor, and caring for the vulnerable? I’m not seeing it like I once did. I am sad to say that I don’t think my beloved “friendly” state will ever be the same.