Curative Magic: Working Magic for Self-esteem
Your self-esteem is a combination of a lot of things: your confidence in your abilities; what you think your worth is as a human being; and the faith and respect you have for yourself. If your self-esteem is low or has disappeared altogether, it can leave you feeling unconfident and unloved. You may feel bad about how you act, react, and look. You might ask yourself, Am I attractive? Does my bum look big in this? Low self-esteem leads to blame, guilt, and a desire to withdraw.
We all have moments of self-doubt that make us question if we are good enough. It is debilitating to keep questioning whether we are worthy or not. (Trust me, you are worthy just the way you are.) So let’s turn things around—self-esteem really is just a state of mind. You are a wonderful human being and we need to celebrate that!
Herbs to Boost Self-Esteem
These are for magical use, NOT consumption.
- Columbine (aquilegia)
- Sweet pea
Foods to Boost Self-Esteem
These can be used magically and/or eaten.
- Black pepper
- Black tea
- Lemon balm
Everyday Exercise for Self-Esteem
If you haven’t already, make moisturizer a part of your daily routine. Apply in the morning and/or evening, and add in some affirmations as you do so. Use the affirmations suggested in this book, the ones taken from your self-esteem spell, or keep it simple and just repeat, “I love you. I love you. I love you,” as you look at your reflection.
As you massage the moisturiser into your skin, look in the mirror and repeat your chosen affirmations. It might make you feel a bit silly at first, but honestly, you deserve to love yourself!
Crystals to Work With for Self-Esteem
Carry crystals with you, use them in magical spells, or meditate with them. Remember to charge the crystal with your intent before use and cleanse it afterwards.
- Carnelian brings a huge boost of confidence and harmony.
- Citrine boosts self-confidence and your personal power.
- Fuchsite is a stone of happiness and joy, allowing you to live life with a positive outlook.
- Hematite is grounding and brings clarity and support.
- Mangano calcite is the self-love stone, bringing acceptance and a positive zing of self-worth.
- Moonstone helps reduce fears and brings you self-confidence.
- Moss agate works with the heart to open you up to confidence.
- Opal transforms your negative energies into positive energies, shining a light on the good traits.
- Pyrite eases frustration and also helps maintain the physical body.
- Rhodochrosite gives you a positive boost of self-love and helps you realise your full potential.
- Rhodonite brings balance to the heart and provides a big confidence boost.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem are both boosted with the use of rose quartz.
- Sodalite helps with the thought process, bringing clarity and the ability to see what is real.
- Sunstone will literally help you shine.
Spell to Boost Self-Esteem
Let’s build up your self-esteem and make you realise just how amazing you really are. Take this spell slowly and work with baby steps. Start small, just one positive is a good starting point to build upon.
You will need:
- A candle (purple or yellow both work well)
- Happy, uplifting essential oil (any of the citrus scents would be good)
- Base oil to dilute the essential oil of your choosing
- Piece of paper
- The largest mirror you have
- Matches or a lighter
Sit in front of the mirror and light the candle. Make sure you set the candle on a safe, flat surface.
Take the paper and pen and start to write down all the good things about yourself. Think about what you like about your looks: you might like the colour of your eyes, your hair, or even the length of your fingernails. Also write down good deeds or nice things you have done for others; holding the door open for the person behind you in the coffee shop, for instance. Make note of the good qualities and skills you possess. Are you a good listener? Do you take care of pets? Can you cook a delicious pie or bake a nice cake? Your list doesn’t need to be full of grand statements. Even the simplest positives are important.
Take your time with this and really focus on each one. If you struggle with this, maybe ask a trusted friend or family member to help you create your list. Your list doesn’t have to be long; even one or two positives are good to start with.
Using your list as inspiration, write some affirmations to use later.
When you are ready, take the essential oil and anoint your pulse points (forehead, sides of neck, wrists) with it. Then look directly at your reflection in the mirror and say:
I came from the Earth
Made by the divine
I am beauty, I am love
I am confidence and courageous light
Allow the candle to burn out. Do not leave it unattended until the flame is extinguished.
Keep the paper with your positive thoughts and affirmations under your pillow. Read through at least one of them every day before you go to sleep. Read another when you wake up.
Add to the list when you think of more positives. If someone compliments you, add their comment too.
The process of boosting your self-esteem can take some time. Don’t rush it.
Every tiny step, no matter how small, is still a step forward.
Remember that you are wonderful just the way you are!
To watch a recording of a talk about Curative Magic: Self Esteem, click the link below
Information taken from the book
Tap into the power of nature and learn how to unleash your inner magic to navigate modern-day life and the issues the universe throws at you. Curative Magic shows you how to work with the tools that witchcraft provides, including spells, rituals, and herbs as well as meditation and recipes.
Nature is incredibly clever–plants, herbs, crystals, and other natural materials can improve spells, provide guidance, enhance your personal health, and help you work through life’s challenges. Kitchen witch and author Rachel Patterson shares her own experiences, personal rituals, recipes, and remedies to help you manage depression, anxiety, insomnia, ailments, and many other common issues we confront.
Natural Magic for Healing in Heart, Spirit & Soul