Curative Magic: Dealing with Grief
Grief is an overwhelming feeling of sadness and sorrow. It can be brought on by the loss or ending of many different things. Grief can lead to shock, anger, guilt, tiredness, and exhaustion, along with aches and pains. Severe grief can also spark anxiety.
Time is one of the best healers for grief, but it is important to remember that grief is not the same for everyone. How long someone grieves depends on the person and the situation. There is no time frame. Take your time and allow healing to happen at the pace it needs to.
Eventually, there will come a point when you want to move forward. Magic can help you learn to move past the grief. I would never suggest that you forget, just that you allow yourself to live and to step into the next part of your journey with hope and happy memories.
In this chapter you will find magical suggestions to help ease your grief. Work with as many of them as you like. Follow your intuition and be guided by it as to what you choose to work with.
Importance of Colour in Magic—Grief
If you saw grief as a colour, what colour would you see? This will vary from person to person. For any negative emotion or issue that I want to release, I see black as a good colour to work with. White is also good because it is neutral.
Grief for me as a colour would be transparent, empty, and void. There would be no colour at all. To counteract this use all the colours of the rainbow.
Herbs to Combat Grief
These are for magical use, NOT consumption.
- Witch hazel
Foods to Combat Grief
These can be used magically and/or eaten.
- Black pepper
- Poppy seeds
Everyday Exercise for Grief
Keep a nice, big, pretty jar or box somewhere visible. At the end of each day write something on a slip of paper that has made you happy. It doesn’t have to be a big event: it could be finding your favourite cake in the bakers, seeing the first flower of spring, or even just being excited to crawl in bed.
If you have lost someone, write a favourite memory about them that popped into your head that day.
Remember to include positive thoughts about yourself too! Write down when you made someone else happy or did something you were proud of.
If you are having a bad day—or if you want to start the day on a positive note—take one of the memories out and read it, then refold and pop it back in the jar. Refer back to your jar of happiness whenever you need to.
Crystals to Work With for Grief
Carry crystals with you, use them in magical spells, or meditate with them. Remember to charge the crystal with your intent before use and cleanse it afterwards. Cleansing suggestions can be found in chapter 3 of this book.
- Amethyst dispels sadness and grief.
- Ametrine combines the soothing of amethyst and the happiness of citrine, helping you to move forward.
- Apache tear gently cleanses grief and brings acceptance.
- Aquamarine can help release grief.
- Azurite heals, transforms, and brings understanding.
- Celestite helps relieve sadness and brings a happy energy with it.
- Fire opal helps heal grief, allowing you to move forward.
- Obsidian is perfect for working through emotions and unpleasant experiences. It brings transformation.
- Lapis lazuli works on a really deep level, helping to heal wounds.
- Larimar brings peace and joy.
- Malachite helps heal the heart and allows you to grieve fully.
- Mangano calcite is all about self-love and acceptance.
- Moonstone soothes and heals.
- Red jasper brings a solid and down-to-earth energy, focusing on the practical things in life.
- Rhodochrosite is a stone of unconditional love and inner peace.
- Rose quartz heals emotions and helps open your heart again.
- Sugilite brings support in times of grief and reminds you to be kind to yourself.
To watch my talk about grief, click the link below
Taken from Curative Magic by Rachel Patterson