Are you looking for good fortune to smile on you and make your problems disappear? Try creating some luck of the Irish any day of the year. Here are five ways to start.
1. Focus on pleasant memories rather than painful ones. Memories take up a lot of real estate in our minds, so we get to be choosy about which ones we spend time with. This may take some practice because negative events stick in our minds and take longer to let go of than positive ones.
You may also feel that it’s naive to focus on the good in your past rather than the negative. But this isn’t denial, it’s simply good mental health. Would you choose a partner or job that makes you feel bad about yourself? Than why choose memories that tear you down rather than making you feel better?
2. Focus on potential success rather than potential failure. You have unlimited greatness in you. You don’t need to go out and find it. Instead, you need to let go of everything that stands in the way. The key is to have patience.
If you see people around you getting a promotion or a new car or the love of their life—and those things are not yet happening for you—it’s common to feel like you’re being overlooked or you’re doing something wrong.
Remember that the best things in life are headed your way. Just because you can’t see them yet doesn’t mean they won’t arrive at the perfect time.
3. Go for greatness. Commit to it. Surround yourself with reminders of what it will look and feel like. Focus on the biggest and most delicious and even the most outrageous thoughts of what your life could be.
Keep asking, keep visualizing, keep setting your expectations for what you want—and write those expectations down—and you can’t help but eventually create them.
4. Surround yourself with positive people. There are almost 7.5 billion people on the planet. All you need are a few who believe in you, will be constructively honest with you and will celebrate your unique gifts. Then spend as much time with them as possible.
As for the others, love them, bless them and let them experience life in their own way, without taking on their negative energy.
5. Rely on spiritual guidance. This may be the biggest good-luck factor of all. Having frequent conversations with Spirit will make the other four steps infinitely easier. Make a daily date of five minutes or more to check in, express gratitude and get some good advice.
There may be no such thing as dumb luck. But there is such a thing as smart thinking. Put yours to work with the help of Spirit to create the good fortune you deserve.
Debra Engle is the author of The Only Little Prayer You Need and Let Your Spirit Guides Speak. You can find her on Facebook and at debraengle.com. Listen to her podcasts at sacredstoriesmedia.com.