Motherhood is not easy. We all can use encouragement along the way. Well, Heidi St. John is a master encourager!
What I love about Heidi is that she’s not afraid to be very real and vulnerable about her “busy” life as a wife, mom of seven, and ministry leader. Heidi’s passion is sharing biblical encouragement — and boy, does she share a lot with us today.
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” side note…
Heidi has some great advice on how she simplifies…she shares it right after she laughs at me for asking the “busy mom” how she lives more “simply.” Ha! Hey, even busy moms can find ways to simplify their lives…and she has some great advice.
In This Episode…
In this episode Heidi and I chat about the struggles facing moms today. We discuss joy stealers like busyness and playing the comparison game. This podcast interview was so awesome…and long…that I split it into two episodes. That’s what happens when you put two chatty people together. What’s really funny is that we chatted for about 15 minutes before we started recording. Just think how long it would have been if I’d started recording that, too.
I know you are going to just love this incredibly encouraging episode with Heidi!
Highlights from This Show…
- Heidi’s passion is biblical encouragement and turning the hearts of parents back to the Word of God for the direction of their families and for raising their children.
- I share about my backstory on how Heidi inspired me to start writing and blogging on homeschooling.
- I mention my insomnia story in this episode. I share all about my 20+ year insomnia story HERE.
- We talk about busyness — of course!— and the importance of spending time in the Word and our need to consult the Lord!
- ‘If you want to get something done, ask a busy person.’ —Heidi St. John
- “My version of sane is someone else’s version of crazy. It all comes down to what God’s called us and equipped us to do.” —Heidi St. John
- ‘We get messed up when we get busy doing things that God has not called us to do.” —Heidi St. John
- “Women need more time than we give ourselves…to hear the Lord and be still.” — Heidi St. John
- The comparison trap is a joy stealer.We also talk about some of the common lies that women listen to — even women in the Bible! (The story of Sarai & Hagar)
- “One of the lies that moms fall for is the lie that our kids have to be doing everything.” — Heidi St. John
- “It’s a game changer when we begin to pray and bring things to the Lord. It makes a total difference in my day when I don’t take my stuff before the Lord.” — Heidi St. John
- Busyness can interfere with our time with God and can affect generations to come.
- “Everyone is working backwards with priorities. (Moms) fill their schedules, which makes their whole lives busy, then they focus on their kids…and maybe on their husbands next. Then God is absolutely last.” — Kristi Clover
- “Those are the priorities that God lays down in His word. People say, “Where did you come up with that?” I didn’t. God came up with it. Don’t shoot the messenger!” — Heidi St. John
- We also talked about how legalism can push the younger generation away from the Lord.
- “Due to legalism, kids are walking away from the Lord, rejecting the faith of their parents because they were raised with rules and not relationships which is a departure from the word of God.” — Heidi St. John
- Satan can make himself look small and insignificant so we don’t notice him.(1 Peter 5:8)
- ‘The devil doesn’t care what ditch he knocks you into, as long as you are in the ditch.” —Heidi St. John
- We referenced my podcast episode with Jill Savage and how “slow fades” in marriage start small and become big.
- We laughed about Heidi’s recent podcast series on sex that she recorded with her husband, Jay.
- Heidi references her book “The Busy Mom’s Guide to Romance” and God’s design for sex.
- I shared my embarrassing story about when I misread the cover of Bill & Pam Farrell’s Red-Hot Monogamy
- Heidi just did an episode entitled Hot Monogamy on her podcast HERE.
- Married couples who are walking with God should have the best sex on the planet.” —Heidi St. John
- “God gave sex to you. It wasn’t just for procreation. God could have made it as boring as He wanted to. He didn’t. He made it amazing. We’re the ones who screw it up.” — Heidi St. John
- Heidi has a new book coming this fall called Becoming Mom Strong. She shares her inspiration behind the book.
- ‘Motherhood is a refining process. God is trying to teach us something through the process of raising children.” —Heidi St. John
- Heidi shares a bit about the physical abuse in her childhood and anxiety that she dealt with. (2 Corinthians 12:9 & Romans 8:28)
- “God wants to use those things that were hard in your life.” — Heidi St. John
- Be sure to grab your FREE copy of my book, Sanity Savers for Moms, by joining our Simply Joyful community. It’s a great way to keep in touch…and get subscriber only freebies like my book. Click HERE to get the book and join!
Words to Remember…
- Genesis 16: The story of Sarai & Hagar
- Judges 6: Gideon did not beseech the Lord
- “He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom and gently lead those that are with young.” (Isaiah 40:11)
- “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)
- “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)
- “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
Connect with Heidi…
Heidi St John has delighted tens of thousands of readers through her blog, podcast, Facebook page, and her books. Her transparent style and her rich sense of humor combine to draw her readers into what feels like a very personal conversation over a cup of coffee. It’s like sitting and talking with a friend.
Heidi’s ability to bypass our prejudices and preconceptions allows her to speak directly to the heart of every reader and listener as she offers wisdom, inspiration, and grace to those who are all-too-often feeling overwhelmed by all that’s on their plate.
Thank you, Rend Collective for allowing me to use your incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength”!
(This podcast is by Kristi Clover. Discovered by e2 media network and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not e2 media network, and audio is streamed directly from their servers.)