Let’s be honest. Mommy anger is a real struggle for so many of us. I didn’t know I was capable of being so frustrated and angry until I had kids. My buttons get pushed, I’m sleep deprived, and exhausted…and the angry comes.
There have been times when I can feel it coming and try to fight it, but I end up snapping at my kids anyway. Other times it sneaks up on me and comes out when I’m not expecting it.
I’m a firm believer in the fact that God uses our kids to refine us. I may not have known that I’d struggle with anger, but God did. He’s not surprised by my sin…not one bit. I will be a work-in-progress until the day He calls me home. He just keeps offering me His grace, forgiveness, and His self control.
I actually wrote about my struggle with anger in my post called Finding Joy When You’re Angry. I hope you’ll check it out. I think you’ll really like the five tips I have in there for finding joy when you feel like getting angry. I’m not a perfect mom, but I am trying to be the best mom I can be. And I’m really trying to learn how to respond in more loving ways when my kids trigger my anger.
Speaking of “triggers,” my guest today is none other than my sweet friend, Amber Lia. Amber is the co-author of the book Triggers: Exchanging Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses. She wrote Triggers along side Wendy Speake as Wendy and I mentioned in Episode #008. Amber is married to her husband Guy, who by the way went to Steve and my alma mater. They’ve been married for ten years and have four boys. She and Guy Guy work as a team in both their work as co-producers (they own a production company called Storehouse Media Group) and in their family life!
Amber and I first met at Bloggers Night Out at the CHEA homeschool convention a couple of years ago. We were both on the panel for the event. (Now I actually organize the event…so come if you are CA in July come on out!)
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” side note…
I asked Amber about what she does to simplify her life and she has a great response! She gives several quick ideas to truly save time. I know you are going to like them!
In This Episode…
In this episode, Amber and I are going to get real and share about how mommy anger has affect our lives. Amber has some incredible tips for how to manage mommy anger and where it comes from.
I just know you are going to be so incredibly encouraged in this episode with Amber!
Highlights from This Show…
- Amber and I talk about her new book, Triggers: Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses, which she co-authored with Wendy Speake. This incredible book about mommy anger was compiled from their time working with their online ministry called No More Angry MOB (Moms of Boys).
- Mommy anger is a real thing! Amber thought that is was only her “real thing.” Then she learned that she wasn’t alone.
- Triggers chronicles her journey through learning how to turn to God with her anger. It has given hope and has transformed thousands of families.
- Many moms get trapped in the cycle of anger and aren’t sure what to do.
- The book goes over 31 common triggers that parents have. They divide it into external triggers and internal triggers. Amber Lia shares overarching tips and advice for moms who are struggling with anger.
- “It takes a childhood to train a child.” — Amber Lia
- “In a practical sense, do not set your expectations too high for yourself or for your kids. Give them a long, long leash to learn whatever it is you’re trying to teach and train them.” — Amber Lia
- * It’s easy to feel alone in your struggles with anger…because we don’t typically broadcast it when we lose it. It doesn’t really look good on our Facebook highlight reel. Ha! However, when Wendy and Amber started this No More Angry MOB Facebook group…they had over 1,000 moms join in the first week.
- “There’s a lot of people out there who have nowhere to turn, because they are embarrassed and don’t want to let people know that they get angry — and that they don’t know what to do about it.” — Amber Lia
- “If we’re not letting people know our weaknesses, then we’re missing out on a community that can help us grow toward change.” — Amber Lia
- “Guilt defeats, but conviction catapults you toward spiritual growth.’ — Amber Lia
- Amber and I both talk about the importance of helping your child come up with a solution to the whatever problem they are repeatedly having.
- “I want to know my kids. I want to know how they think. I want to know what matters to them, what’s important to them. Each of their personalities is different. Getting their input and getting them to take some ownership for these issues is a loving thing to do.” — Amber Lia
- I ask Amber what it’s like working in the entertainment industry as a Christian. She responds by asking for prayer. So, I wanted to ask you to partner with me in praying for the Lia family. Amber and Guy are in the “thick of it” being that they are in the film industry. Having a Christian conservation company in Hollywood definitely stirs up spiritual attack. So, please be praying for them as they seek to bless others with great quality content. Thanks!
Words to Remember…
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)
- Be sure to grab your FREE copy of my book, Sanity Savers for Moms, by joining our Simply Joyful community. It’s a great way to keep in touch…and get subscriber only freebies like my book. Click HERE to get the book and join!
Connect with Amber…
Girly-girl to the core, Amber finds a lot of humor in the fact that she has a “TESTOSTER-HOME” of four active males…and one new little one! She and her husband Guy work as a team in both their work as co-producers (they own a production company called Storehouse Media Group) and in their family life! They’ve been married ten years and have four great gifts in their four great sons who they are raising to be knights. Amber blogs at Mother of Knights. She also has her Master’s Degree in Leadership and Educational Administration and used to work as a high school English teacher.
Thank you, Rend Collective for allowing me to use your incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength”!
(This podcast is by Kristi Clover. Discovered by Christian Podcast Central and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, notChristian Podcast Central, and audio is streamed directly from their servers.)