For most Christians, spending time with God can only be done through personal Bible study and prayer. While those are obviously important, there are numerous ways to spend time with your Heavenly Father this week. Here are six unique ways to spend time with God this week:
1. Bible study and prayer – This is the obvious one, and it should be. God’s Word is living and active, God’s written revelation to you. Every moment savoring and meditating on the Word of God and every moment sitting with God in sweet communion through prayer is a moment well spent.
2. Intellectual/Teaching – Some of us are wired to connect with God through our minds. For some, reading a commentary or listening to biblical teaching is an act of worship. They take the command to ‘love the Lord our God with all of your . . . mind’ seriously. Dig into the richness of Scripture and you’ll find God.
3. Worship music – Others have more of an emotional bent and connection to God, and God made you that way on purpose. To you, the thought of reading a commentary puts you to sleep, but leave you alone for an hour with some praise and worship music and you’ll have you some church. Singing and worshipping God through song has always been a timeless way to connect to God.4. Serving others – If you’re an activist or a doer it’s the thought of sitting sitting still that drives you insane. You want to do, you want to serve. For you, you feel the closest to God when you’re serving His people. You need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to sense that close communion with God.
5. Intentional biblical community – A great way to connect with God this week is through intentional biblical community. That can mean going to church, but just sitting in a pew for an hour a week doesn’t qualify as intentional biblical community. When you’re in a small group of believers, breaking bread together, doing life together, praying together, laughing together, growing together, you’re literally functioning as the body of Christ. When you function as the body of Christ you are spending time in God’s presence.
6. Creation/nature – For some, the quickest way to step into God’s presence simply is to step outside. The heavens declare the glory of God, so why not spend time gazing at the heavens? A hike through the woods or even a walk through the park can usher you directly into the presence of our Creator.
If you’re wanting to spend time with God this week, there are numerous ways, because God is everywhere. His invitation is open. Spend time in His presence this week and be transformed.