Scholastic engagement with genres and texts of science fiction across various regions and cultures around the world has grown significantly over the last decade. In an effort to expand this ongoing study, the MOSF Journal of Science Fiction is accepting submissions for a special issue on Middle Eastern science fiction to be released in the winter of 2020.
With this issue, we aim to become a gathering place of current topics, trends, and themes in the field of Middle Eastern science fiction. We are seeking academic articles of 5,000 to 8,000 words, short reflection pieces of 500 to 1,000 words, and book reviews of 500-750 words by August 22nd, 2020.
We welcome submissions focused on any and all aspects of Middle Eastern science fiction, and we are especially interested in works that offer insight into (but are not limited to) the following:
– Literary history of Middle Eastern science fiction
– Histories and/or critiques of colonization, imperialism, dispossession, war
– The connections between science fiction and religion
– Migration themes in Middle Eastern science fiction
– Discussions of genocide and apartheid
– Connections to diasporic futurisms
– Political discourse surrounding Islamophobia
– Critical engagement with race and ethnicity
– Engagement with post-colonial, feminist, queer, and disability theories
– Book Reviews
Special consideration will be given to essays addressing literature, theory, and contemporary texts and trends.
Please submit completed essays through the MOSF Journal of Science Fiction website, http://publish.lib.umd.edu/scifi/index. To submit your work, click “About” > “Submissions: Online Submissions”, create an account, and follow the submission prompts.
Remember to include the following as separate documents:
1) Your demographic information (can be contained in email)
- Name, Affiliations, Contact Information
2) Abstract (up to 300 words) & Keywords
3) Essay containing no identifying markers (to ensure double-blind peer review)
Manuscripts should be submitted as .doc, .docx, or .rtf files. All submissions should be in APA style. The text of the manuscript and the reference list should be submitted as a single file.