New booklet and video on the Scientology website give tips on how to prevent the spread of illness.
The How to Prevent the Spread of Illness With Isolation booklet and video on the Scientology website provide important information to help people understand the spread of the coronavirus and what they can do to make sure they keep themselves, their friends, family and community safe.
In simple language, the illustrated booklet covers:
- What Are Bacteria and Viruses?
- How Bacteria and Viruses Spread, and
- Guidelines for Households with a Person in Isolation
“Bacteria and viruses can spread, ” begins the introduction. “When someone in your household is ill with a contagious disease, extra precautions need to be taken to prevent spreading the illness to other members of the household. Knowing how bacteria and viruses can spread is the first step in preventing their transmission.”
The video, at Scientology.org/staywell/videos/how-to-prevent-the-spread-of-illness covers what to do when someone in your family or home is ill with a contagious disease (or when you suspect the person may be contagious based on their symptoms).Do the following immediately:
- Keep your entire household at home.
- Do not go to work or to school. Work or study from home.
- Contact your medical doctor for advice. Call ahead before going to a clinic or doctor’s office or hospital. It may be advisable to stay home and protect others from being infected unless the illness is severe. Note: If a person has severe symptoms, such as shortness of breath, high fever, etc., seek immediate medical attention.
- Keep the person who is ill isolated from the rest of the household. Ensure elderly people and those susceptible to illness are kept well away from the ill person.
- Do not have the ill person in contact with pets or other animals. If an ill individual pets his cat or dog, for instance, he may leave germs on the pet’s fur that can be transmitted to others who pet the animal later.
- Have the ill person stay in a separate room until fully recovered and no longer contagious.
- Find out from your medical doctor when it is safe for the person to return to work or interact with others.
- Be careful to thoroughly follow all hygiene and sanitizing recommendations given in the booklet.
Take the guesswork out of whether you are doing everything you can to protect yourself and others. Read or download the free booklet or watch the video at Scientology.org/staywell/