• Being perpetually angry and always wrong is, apparently, pretty lucrative work.
• Beloit College has posted its annual “Mindset List” for the incoming freshman Class of 2019. It’s startling to realize that for these young people, Abe Vigoda has never been dead.
• The 14th Amendment was conceived, proposed and ratified by the Republican Party. Today, 147 years after it became part of our Constitution, we hear a lot of talk about repealing the 14th Amendment. And any time you hear such talk, you know you’re hearing from a Republican.
(So far, seven GOP presidential candidates — Donald Trump, Scott Walker, Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, Lindsey Graham, Rand Paul and Rick Santorum — have called for the repeal of the 14th Amendment. None has yet called for the repeal of the 13th Amendment. Not explicitly. Yet.)
• “George Zimmerman Raffles Confederate Flag Painting For ‘Muslim-Free’ Gun Store.” Story still needs some kind of anti-gay panic angle, I think, before we can declare this peak wingnut.
• No True Scotsman. Part of the problem with Thomas Kidd’s attempt to whittle down white evangelicalism to its real, true, non-embarrassing core of pure representatives is that it would result in evangelical Christianity being a religious minority about the size of Scientology.
• “The Godchecker Holy Hit Parade: Today’s Top Ten Gods and Goddesses …” Hathor is trending. (via Steve B.)
• “One mile north of Piedmont” is the same municipality as one mile south of Piedmont, or one mile west or east of there. (I always appreciate a well-executed curmudgeonly rant.)
• Face of Rasputin spotted in jet smoke trail at air show. Or maybe bin Laden?
• “Get the basics right and you can hit the snooze button on needing to ever again pay attention to anything you ever read or hear in the media or from populist nutrition gurus again.”