Award winning Princeton professor Robert P. George recently announced on his Facebook page the first annual “Fidelity Month” starting June 1st. As a supporter of fidelity, I decided to add my voice to this initiative. Below, I share and reflect on Professor George’s statement on Fidelity Month. Also of important note, professor George will conduct an online webinar on Thursday, June 1st at 2:00 pm (EST) to officially launch Fidelity Month. Please check his Facebook page for more information. Click here for the official Fidelity Month website. Please join us in the celebration and promotion of Fidelity Month. For our country’s sake, for our children’s sake, fidelity is needed now more than ever.
What is Fidelity Month?
Professor George explains:
As my Facebook friends know, by the authority vested in me by absolutely no one, I have declared June to be “Fidelity Month”—a month dedicated to the importance of fidelity to God, spouses and families, our country, and our communities.
For the month of June, Fidelity Month focuses in a special way on “fidelity to God, spouses and families, our country, and our communities.” Plan dates nights with your spouse. Have a family game night where we turn our TVs off and put our phones down. Volunteer at church or your place of worship. Commit to getting involved in local politics. And above all—pray! Pray God moves to restore the values that will ensure our children have a future.
Why Fidelity Month?
According to Professor George’s Facebook page:
You may have read about the rather disturbing recent WSJ poll indicating a precipitous decline in our fellow Americans’ belief in the importance of such values as patriotism, religion, family, and community—the values that used to unite Americans despite our many differences. There are a million things we can and should do to restore the faith of our people and begin to heal the dreadful division in our county, but I would like you to join in one small one.
While one could write off Professor George’s comment as alarmist, National Catholic Register summed up some crucial findings in a recent online article. They highlighted from the poll:
- Only 30% of 2023 respondents overall said having children was very important to them, compared with 59% in 1998 and 43% in 2019.
- In another notable drop, 38% in 2023 said “patriotism” is very important, compared with 70% in 1998 and 61% in 2019.
- Only 43% said marriage is very important (this question was not on the 2019 and 1998 surveys).
- The only value that increased in importance in respondents’ minds from 1998 to 2023 was money, which increased from 31% to 43% over the time period.
Clearly, the above paints a bleak picture for our nation. If a country does not value marriage, children, and its community (country), its has no future.
How to Promote Fidelity Month
Moreover, Professor George lists ways others can help promote Fidelity Month. For example:
- Put out a statement (like this one).
- Hold an event about the restoration of the values reflected during Fidelity Month.
- Use the Fidelity Month symbol (see below) on social media and to make flags, t-shirts.
- For public officials: officially recognize Fidelity Month.
- For clergy: do something special for Fidelity Month.
- Be creative! Think of other things to do to support this important month.
To Reiterate the Need!
When asked about certain values and whether they consider them to be “very important,” 39% said “religion” was very important to them. By contrast, in 1998, 62% of respondents to the same question said religion was very important to them.
In conclusion, as someone who considers my faith “very important,” the above statistics concern me greatly. Now, some who read this will declare Fidelity Month a call to “Christian Nationalism.” That this accusation even exists shows how far society has fallen. I, nor Professor George, desire to establish a Christian theocracy in the United States of America. We simply seek to reclaim the traditional American values of religion, family, community, and patriotism.
Prayer for Fidelity Month
Please click here for a prayer supporting Fidelity Month.
If you enjoy my writing and want to support my work, please consider donating $1 or any size gift by clicking here. Thank you!
Read my other writing here.
Please click the link below to join.
Please make your voice heard.