Hyssop has been used for thousands of years in magickal and ritual spaces. It is an excellent herb for clearing up negative energy, getting rid of back luck, breaking a curse, or any other type of purification you might need. That is what makes hyssop the best magickal herb! A nice bath in hyssop will do the trick in fixing up what magickally ails ya!
Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis) is a small bush-like plant that is a part of the mint family. In the warmer months it will bloom with small white, blue, or pink flowers. The plant originated in the Middle East and Southern Europe, but now can be found all over the world and is a great addition to drought resistant gardens. Plus, bees love it.
Health and Wellness
This herb was (and is) used as a remedy for many illness and is a natural antiseptic. However, it also has spiritual and religious uses. Hyssop is mentioned in the Bible; Psalms 51:7 “Purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean.” It was used in Egypt as a purification herb during meals. It can clear off the negative energy that is causing you troubles.
How to Use Hyssop
For spiritual purposes I highly recommend hyssop as a cleansing and purification ally. Here are some ways you to use it for cleansing:
- Baths – make a nice cup of tea and add this to your bath water. If you don’t have a bathtub, pour it over your head after a shower. Just make sure the water’s not too hot!
- Garlands – dry branches of hyssop to make garland or hang the dried branches over your front door. This will cleanse off anyone who steps into your home.
- Sachets – chop up dried hyssop and put it in a little drawstring bag. Carry this in your pocket, put it in your clothing drawers or keep it in your car or office as an automatic purification tool.
- Drink – you can drink hyssop tea if you’re not allergic to it. Don’t try to drink it if you don’t know for sure.
- Aspurging – the dried branches can be dripped in salted water and sprinkled over you as a cleanser. You can also use the branches to lightly slap the herb against your skin to remove negative energy.
Cleansing is an important part of any Witch’s practice. Ideally it’s something that we do on the regular. Try incorporating hyssop in your cleansing practice!
*Do not use, take, or ingest any herb that you are allergic to. If you are uncertain about a possible allergic reaction just skip it.*