So, I took 6 weeks off of the Internet, and I feel fine. Didn’t miss it all that much. In case you’re curious, here’s what I did:
1) Finished the second draft of my manuscript, Did God Kill Jesus? and sent it off to the publisher. Haven’t heard back yet, but I’m hoping they consider it an improvement. I do. Most days over the past six week, I wrote 6-8 hours per day. More on the book tomorrow.
2) Harvested bushels of produce from our garden.
3) Canned much of that produce. Final count: 12 jars beans, 6 jars beets, 12 jars pickles, 12 jars relish, 4 jars onions, 2 jars tomatoes, 6 loaves zucchini bread. The tomatoes are still coming. And 4 heads of cabbage are (hopefully) becoming sauerkraut in the basement.
4) Got an infected thumb. Went to urgent care.
5) Got an infected eye. Went to the eye doctor.
6) Got a vasectomy.
7) Blew out my back. Had to crawl through the garage for Courtney to take me to the doctor. Spent a couple days in a wheelchair. Still in physical therapy.
8) Went to TexSom, the annual wine conference that Courtney shoots. Drank wine. Ate amazing food.
9) Took the kids to the Minnesota State Fair, the best state fair of all state fairs.
10) Spent extended time at our family cabin in north central Minnesota. The best place on earth.
11) Built a duck blind with my brother.
12) Prepared syllabi for a fall course at United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities and a new D.Min. cohort at Fuller Theological Seminary.
13) Read some books.
14) Wrote a chapter for a forthcoming book on youth ministry.
15) Performed a wedding in North Carolina for a friend/student in my current D.Min. cohort.
16) Finished coaching another baseball season, with a solid .500 record and a great group of 14- and 15-year-old boys.
17) Got terminated from my job at sparkhouse (a division of Augsburg/Fortress).
18) Five days later, got a job offer to launch a new line of books at Fortress (a division of Augsburg/Fortress). I start that job today.
So, that’s what I’ve been up to. What have I missed on the Internet?